Is it a tablet - or an ultraportable? The Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is both. Running Windows 8, which has famously merged both touch and standard desktop into a single operating system and shipping with a removable keyboard, this device could be considered the ultimate convertible PC. The latest ATIV packs an Intel Core i5 processor alongside 4GB of DDR3 RAM, while a 128GB SSD handles storage. Everything is displayed on a bright, 11.6-inch LED backlit display. The ATIV Pro has a bit more horsepower than the average tablet, but it also comes with a much larger price tag. Street price comes in at around $1,199, which is a far cry from traditional tablet prices. It is also a lot heavier. Weighing in at around 2 pounds sans keyboard, an all-around e-reader alternative, this is not. Is this flexible tablet/notebook worth the price of admission? Read on to find out.
Main Features and Specifications:
- 1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Processor
- 11.6-inch Capacitive LED Full HD Touchscreen (1920 x 1080)
- 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
- 128GB SATA II SSD
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- Micro HDMI, USB 3.0, microSD Ports
- Integrated Webcam, Microphone, Speakers
- Includes Keyboard Dock
- Windows 8 (64-bit)
What We Liked:
- Feature Packed, Versatile: The Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro Tablet 700T is quite the multi-tasking machine. It can function as both a tablet and a traditional laptop. It has enough power to do real computing work and enough battery life to make it through a good portion of the workday. To enter information you can choose from the touch keyboard, physical keyboard or the included S-Pen stylus. Windows 8 is a good match for a device like the 700T because it offers the best of both words. Shifting between Tiles and the full OS can be accomplished as easily as this tablet can be converted in and out of its physical keyboard.
- Fast Processor: One of the first things you notice about the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is the fact that it differentiates itself from the standard tablet by including a very capable Intel Core i5 processor running at 1.7GHz. This propels the convertible along at a solid clip and during mixed use as both a tablet (browsing web, toggling through apps, etc.) and a laptop (using traditional windows applications) it showed no sign of bogging down.
- Great Display: If PPI is what lights up your day, the 11.6-inch LED display on the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is sure to bring a smile to your face. Running at 1920x1080 this is a full HD display, capable of displaying HD video in its native format and resolution. All those pixels make for an excellent overall user experience. Video and images were vibrant and exceptionally clear, text was crisp and we could find no complaints with the excellent panel Samsung used on their Surface Pro fighter.
- Solid Multimedia Performer: The integrated stereo speakers with SoundAlive processing are plenty loud. The front and rear-facing cameras are good for a tablet and a micro HDMI port on the back lets you easily pipe out audio and video to a larger display or TV. We loved consuming 1080p YouTube content on the crisp display and found the Pro 700T worked well as an entertainment machine.
What We Didn't Like:
- Is it A Tablet or Ultraportable?: On paper, the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T sounds like a really cool idea. It more or less has the specs of an ultraportable but can break free from the burden of physical keys and live in the ever-popular tablet format. The problem is, it can't do either as well as the dedicated hardware in either category. As an ultraportable, the battery life falls short, it's moderately overweight and the keyboard isn't great. Life as a tablet is somewhat better, but the sheer weight of two pounds causes fatigue after only a short while. With single-purpose tablets tipping the scales at one to one and a half pounds, the idea of a two-pound tablet begins to seem unreasonable. We would have liked to see a weight reduction by placing half of the battery pack in the detachable keyboard. At the very least, this would have improved the tablet experience significantly.
- Keyboard: The nice thing about the included keyboard is that it can be attached in two seconds. Just pop the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro Tablet 700T in and you are good to go. The tablet instantly recognizes its new appendage and you can begin using the track pad and physical keys immediately. However, that is where the fun ends. For starters, the connection from the keyboard to the tablet was plagued with connection issues. Every other minute the 700T would signal its friendly chime notifying us that the keyboard was connected À only we hadn't disconnected it. After about 20 minutes of use, we gave up on the keyboard entirely. This issue may have been isolated to our review unit, but it is concerning nonetheless. The other issue with the keyboard is the lackluster track pad. It's small size and moderate responsiveness made us do most of our gesturing on the actual screen.
The Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro Tablet 700T works equally well as a tablet and an ultraportable laptop. However, when put up against a standard tablet or traditional ultraportable laptop, it begins to show some weakness. As a tablet, it weighs more than what many users would consider acceptable. As a dedicated laptop, battery life isn't as good as the competition and the design is on the clunky side. However, 700T represents a real alternative to Microsoft's Surface Pro and upcoming Surface Pro 2, although it does carry with it a higher price tag. At the end of the day, the Samsung's ATIV Smart PC Pro Tablet 700T is a solid overall machine, it just doesn't excel in any one category.
Our Score: 3.5 out of 5
(Click pictures to go to gallery)
This Deal is provided by our partner Tech Bargains at www.techbargains.com
Tablets have become more popular than laptops over the past couple of years. There is a wide-range of tablets that are sold on Black Friday starting from the absolute bargain 7-inch Android tablets, over premium Android tablets and the Apple iPad. New this year are the low-cost Microsoft Windows 8.1 Tablets that will be very popular this Holiday season with prices under $100.
Disclaimer: The Black Friday deal information given above is without warranties on accuracy and availability. Black Friday deals tend to sell out very quickly and as retailer only keep low inventories for doorbuster deals.
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro Tablet 700T Review