Sony announces their first portable video players for the U.S. market.
Sony offers PMPs like the PMX-M70 in Asia. The new NWZ-S610 (photo) features a new design and a 1.8-inch LCD screen with QVGA resolution.
Other features of the NWZ-S610 include FM Tuner and support of security-enhanced Windows Media Audio (WMA), as well as non-secure AAC and MP3 music formats, plus JPEG files for photos, in addition to the AVC (H.264/AVC) Baseline Profile and MPEG-4 video codecs. The new NWZ-A810 comes with the already known Walkman design of the NW-A805 and a 2 inch QVGA screen. You can play video for 8 hours on the NWZ-A810.
The new Sony Walkman supports Sony's new Open Digital Music Environment, meaning they work with security-enhanced Windows Media Audio and support most subscription music services. You can manage your music library with Microsoft Windows Media Player 11.
Sony's move to just adopt Microsft's music solution is smarter than what Nokia announced yesterday with their Nokia Ovi service platform.
Don't Miss: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016
The NWZ-A810 series of Walkman video music players come in three different capacities and five colors:
- The NWZ-A815 player has a total capacity of 2GB; comes in white, pink, black, blue and silver; and will cost about $140.
- The NWZ-A816 player has a total capacity of 4GB; comes in white, pink, black and silver; and will cost about $180.
- The NWZ-A818 player has a total capacity of 8GB, comes in black and silver, and will cost about $230.
The NWZ-S610 series of Walkman music players come in three different capacities and four colors:
- The NWZ-S615F player has a total capacity of 2GB; comes in black, pink, red and silver; and costs about $120.
- The NWZ-S616F player has a total capacity of 4GB; comes in black, pink, red and silver; and costs about $160.
- The NWZ-S618F player has a total capacity of 8GB, comes in black, and costs about $210.
Via this Sony press-release.