A new report from China says that the woman allegedly electrocuted by an iPhone has been using a knock-off power supply.
Yesterday we carried a report that a woman has been electrocuted by an iPhone 5 in China. Apple has said to investigate the incident. Today a new report from China suggests that the woman has been using a knock-off iPhone charger.
Don't Miss: Today's Electronics Bargains at Woot.com
The report comes from Chinese language TV station CCTV. South China Morning Post has an English coverage of the report. It is not quite clear if CCTV has real evidence or only bases the report on opinions by an expert. The expert raises two possibilities why the woman got electrocuted. Either it was a low-quality knock-off charger or she used a charger made for Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan that which are only made for 110V. Mainland China is using a 220V power system.
The CCTV report also says that the woman actually used an iPhone 4 and not an iPhone 5. The police and Apple investigations are still underway and there is no official report yet.