Menu
Clone of Alibaba (BABA) IPO Shares Jump 36%

Alibaba (BABA) IPO Shares Jump 36%

The Sexiest Halloween Costumes of 2014

The Sexiest Halloween Costumes of 2014

Mazda Miata 2016 model revealed

Mazda Miata 2016 model revealed

Miley Cyrus New Butt Gets in Trouble with Law

Miley Cyrus New Butt Gets in Trouble with Law

Larry Ellison Steps Down as CEO of Oracle

Larry Ellison Steps Down as CEO of Oracle

The Bible is Used in Password Cracking

Oct 9 2013, 5:35am CDT | by , in News | Technology News

While ordinary methods of cracking passwords do work most of the time, sometimes it takes a little something extra to get the job done. A researcher recently discovered to his surprise that many phrases used in passwords were picked from everyday sources that people used in their daily lives. This included holy books such as the Bible.

The Bible Figures in Password Cracking
Image Credit: Getty Images
 
 

YouTube Videos Comments

Full Story

The Bible is Used in Password Cracking

A password security researcher named Kevin Young was so adept at cracking codes that he had managed to infiltrate 60% of the passwords on a particular site. But the remaining 40% remained safe and secure from his clutches. He was confused over the stubborn passwords and decided to do something radically different in order to crack them.

Kevin began using ordinary everyday objects and sources of knowledge to generate random strings of words and phrases. Such biblical references as “inthebeginning wastheword” got used and to his utter amazement many of the passwords opened up for scrutiny under these new commands. 

It seems people use the most common and hackneyed phrases to make their passwords. From objects that are utilized on and off to trite sayings like “pinkyandthebrain”, the world of passwords is wild and woolly indeed. Especially, when classical literature and religious references were used to crack the codes, they seemed to hit the nail on the head. 

The Bible has always been a source of wisdom and inspirational knowledge for billions around the world. But the fact that its phrases were also used to create unique passwords is something that is completely new for researchers everywhere. It also shows the vulnerability of your password to advances made by savvy hackers. 

Source: ArsTechnica

 

You Might Also Like

Updates


Sponsored Update


Advertisement


More From the Web

Shopping Deals

 
 
 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/20" rel="author">Sumayah Aamir</a>
Sumayah Aamir (Google+) has deep experience in analyzing the latest trends.

 

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Apple to unveil new iPads
Apple to unveil new iPads
Apple will also launch its operating system on Oct. 21
 
 
Brittany Kerr and Jason Aldean: Is the Affair still on?
Brittany Kerr and Jason Aldean: Is the Affair still on?
As far as the affair between Brittany Kerr and Jason Aldean is concerned, the proper question to ask would be: is it still on?
 
 
Taylor Swift kicks off the iHeartRadio Music Festival
Taylor Swift kicks off the iHeartRadio Music Festival
The singer stole millions of hearts while flashing her midriff in TWO striking ensembles
 
 
Apple iPads to Launch on October 21
Apple iPads to Launch on October 21
Apple is reportedly going to launch two new iPads and a new Mac OS on 21st October, 2014.
 
 
 

About the Geek Mind

The “geek mind” is concerned with more than just the latest iPhone rumors, or which company will win the gaming console wars. I4U is concerned with more than just the latest photo shoot or other celebrity gossip.

The “geek mind” is concerned with life, in all its different forms and facets. The geek mind wants to know about societal and financial issues, both abroad and at home. If a Fortune 500 decides to raise their minimum wage, or any high priority news, the geek mind wants to know. The geek mind wants to know the top teams in the National Football League, or who’s likely to win the NBA Finals this coming year. The geek mind wants to know who the hottest new models are, or whether the newest blockbuster movie is worth seeing. The geek mind wants to know. The geek mind wants—needs—knowledge.

Read more about The Geek Mind.