A round up of the most important Mavericks features follows.
The new free Mavericks platform offers users a host of features despite appearing to be a slight upgrade over the OS X platform. The platform however has many features one can explore, with five among being the most prominent.
Don't Miss: Today's Best Deals on Amazon.com
- iCloud Keychain - The iCloud Keychain built-in feature was created by Apple for its iOS 7 release as an extension to the Safari browser which can remember website logins, passwords, usernames, and credit card details. iCloud Keychain is designed to help users track different passwords for different sites and even offers users password suggestions for improved online security.
- Tabs and Tags - In the new Mavericks release, Apple has merged Mac OS X tabs with separate windows, and fit each tab with custom view settings and windows-merging options to suit individual preference. Tags in OS X Mavericks allow users to save documents with as many tags as they desire, created on the fly or previously listed, making it very easy to search for documents at a later date. While these features do not appear to have a big impact, they are a powerful addition to the OS X Mavericks.
- Safari - The Safari browser has been enhanced in OS X Mavericks, allowing users to browse through bookmarks, favorite sites, links, and social networks directly on the home page. Apple has worked closely with Adobe to protect customers by sandboxing flash players, preventing malware from the Adobe application from harming the system. Safari for OS X Mavericks also works with the new iCloud Keychain feature for user convenience.
- Improved Efficiency - Apple offers improved battery life in OS X Mavericks, having made significant improvements to the efficiency with new features and technology like Compressed Memory, Timer Coalescing, and App Nap. With the latest enhancements to OS X Mavericks, users have access to nearly two hours more battery life according to reviews by consumers and tech experts.
- Popular Features From iOS - Apple's OS X Mavericks marks the commencement of Apple's ambitious venture to merge its iOS mobile operating system with its Desktop operating system, OS X. The OS X Mavericks, brings the two ecosystems closer with features from iOS devices evident in the Mavericks system. Apple Maps, Do Not Disturb, iBooks, iWork, iLife and other apps have been configured to perform as well on the OS X Mavericks.
Users can download Mac OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store for free. Mac users can upgrade to OS X Mavericks from OS X Lion (10.7), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8).