Latest News: Technology |  Celebrity |  Movies |  Apple |  Cars |  Business |  Sports |  TV Shows |  Geek

Trending

Filed under: News

 

Why Target Customers Shouldn't Panic After Data Breach

Dec 20 2013, 4:51pm CST | by

10 Updates
Why Target Customers Shouldn't Panic After Data Breach
Photo Credit: Forbes
 
 

Comments

Recommend Your Tweet as Top Tweet:

Full Story

Why Target Customers Shouldn't Panic After Data Breach

This week, Target confirmed that 40 million debit and credit numbers were stolen in one of the largest data breaches of its type in history. The breach, which occurred between Black Friday 2013 and December 15 2013, swiped customer names, credit or debit card numbers, the card’s expiration date and CVV codes. While Target and law enforcement – including the Secret Service – is investigating this massive crime, it’s likely that the criminals were able to steal this information by installing malware into a company machine, or persuaded an unsuspecting employee to click on a malicious link that downloaded malware that gave the criminals control of Target’s point-of-sale systems.

While this sounds bad, Target customers who shopped at the store the past few weeks (especially more than once, such as yours truly) shouldn’t panic. In an email to media today, Target explained that “there is no indication that there has been any impact to PIN numbers. What this means is their bank PIN debit card or Target debit card still has this additional layer of protection. It also means that someone cannot visit an ATM with a fraudulent card and withdraw cash.”

Additionally, to clear up some additional confusion, Target explained that “The CVV data that may have been impacted was data in the magnetic strip and NOT the three or four-digit code visible on the card that guests use that would allow someone to make an online purchase.”

Target is also very clear that this data breach should not lead to any identify theft, as there is “no indication that the data that was inappropriately accessed included a guests’ date of birth or social security number.”

Most financial institutions are already on the lookout for fraudulent activity that may occur as a result of this threat, though there has been no evidence that any has occurred so far. Target has already alerted all of the networks (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express) and provided the affected card numbers of guests who may have been impacted. The networks, in turn, are providing the affected card numbers to the financial institutions of Target customers via a “batch” or “CAMS alert.”

In a blog post to its customers today, USAA reiterated that there is no need to reset PIN numbers or cancel cards. USAA’s Chief Security Officer, Gary McAlum, told me that Target customers really have no need to panic and overreact. As he said “This type of breach happens every day – although obviously not on this big of a scale – and every financial institution is looking at this very closely, analyzing the implications for their customers based on the information provided by Target. Customers do not need to call their banks as they monitor user accounts 24/7.” He explains that if banks like USAA do start to see fraudulent activity, they’ll automatically reissue cards.

Additionally, McAlum said that as these types of data breaches happen on a smaller scale every day in the U.S. – primarily because the U.S. is one of the last countries to rely on credit and debit cards with magnetic strips instead of embedded chips – customers really do need to stay vigilant. He advised that whether or not a breach like Target had happened, “customers should be checking credit card statements regularly for things that aren’t quite right. Many financial institutions offer tools like fraud alerts so you can be alerted when something abnormal happens to your account.”

Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel also underscored that customers should not panic. In a statement today, he said “We want our guests to understand that just because they shopped at Target during the impacted time frame, it doesn’t mean they are victims of fraud. In fact, in other similar situations, there are typically low levels of actual fraud.” He added that “We take this crime seriously. It was a crime against Target, our team members, and most importantly, our guests.”

In fact, to help restore confidence in the company and encourage guests to come back to Target to finish their holiday shopping, Target will be offering a 10% discount to guests who shop in U.S. stores on Dec. 21 and 22. As Target claims the “the issue has been identified and eliminated”, this weekend might be a great time to get your shopping done – and get a good deal on those last minute items, too.

Source: Forbes

 

iPad Air Giveaway. Win a free iPad Air.

You Might Also Like

Updates


Sponsored Update

Update: 10

GLCs told to provide RM7 billion to develop Bumiputera firms

Source: Malaysia Today

EurAsia Cup presented by DRB-HICOM - Day One
(The Malaysian Insider) – Putrajaya has directed government-linked companies (GLC) to generate RM7 billion in business opportunities for Bumiputera firms this year, Prime Minister Prime Minister Dat ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today 4 days ago, 2:05am CDT
 


Advertisement


Update: 9

Rafizi shows proof of Putrajaya’s hand in contentious carpet-trader loan

Source: Malaysia Today

Eileen Ng, The Malaysian Insider PKR lawmaker Rafizi Ramli today revealed documents to prove Putrajaya interfered in the RM32 million Bank Rakyat loan to ‎controversial businessman Deepak Jaikishan. Rafizi (pic)... READ M ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today 5 days ago, 2:16am CDT
 

More From the Web

Update: 8

PAS MP claims Bank Rakyat loaned carpet-trader RM215m, interest free

Source: Malaysia Today

(Malay Mail Online) – Controversial businessman Deepak Jaikishan (pic) was given a whopping RM215 million interest-free loan from state-owned Bank Rakyat, a PAS lawmaker alleged today, despite Putrajaya’s c ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today 1 week ago, 5:52am CDT
 

Update: 7

MRCB, Nusa Gapurna and PKNS settle suit over RM3 billion PJ Sentral project

Source: Malaysia Today

(The Malaysian Insider) – Malaysian Resources Corp Bhd (MRCB), Nusa Gapurna Development Sdn Bhd (NGD) and PKNS Holdings Sdn Bhd have reached an out-of-court settlement over the ownership of the... R ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 21 2014, 2:53am CDT
 

Update: 6

Story behind Syed Mokhtar’s ‘RM2.25 billion tax-exempt’ Bernas deal revealed, says PKR MP

Source: Malaysia Today

(The Malaysian Insider) – An innocuous written reply in Parliament has provided a peek into the cosy relationship between the Najib administration and Malaysia’s best-known busine ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 15 2014, 12:56pm CDT
 

Update: 5

Constitutional monarchy still murky concept

Source: Malaysia Today

After the RM4.5 billion land sale, the Sultan of Johor secured a 15% stake in MOL Access Portal (MOL) for RM396 million and took a 20% stake in Berjay ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 14 2014, 12:37am CDT
 

Update: 4

Sultan of Johor’s RM4.5 bil backlash?

Source: Malaysia Today

Artists Work On Sand Art Ahead Of "Culture City of East Asia 2014" Exhibition
Has Sultan Ibrahim of Johor’s succession of big money deals over the last six months caused the tide of public opinion to turn against Johor’s royal palace? KiniBiz examines the... READ MOR ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 11 2014, 8:49am CDT
 

Update: 3

Putrajaya denies carpet dealer given interest-free loan

Source: Malaysia Today

Eileen Ng, The Malaysian Insider Putrajaya today refuted allegations that Bank Rakyat had allowed carpet dealer Deepak Jaikishan to repay a RM32 million loan without interest following interventio ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 11 2014, 5:44am CDT
 

Update: 2

Malaysia Spends Over $9 million on MH370 Hunt: Report

Source: NDTV

Artists Work On Sand Art Ahead Of "Culture City of East Asia 2014" Exhibition
Malaysia has so far spent about RM27.6 million (over $9 million) on search operations for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, an official said on Mo ...
Source: NDTV   Full article at: NDTV Jun 9 2014, 3:12am CDT
 

Update: 1

Bill for Kidex likely to soar to RM3.4b

Source: Malaysia Today

The original RM2.4 billion tag on the proposed highway did not take into account the cost of acquiring the land mostly in the urban areas, claims an assemblywoman Fabian ...
Source: Malaysia Today   Full article at: Malaysia Today Jun 9 2014, 2:51am CDT
 

Shopping Deals

 
 
 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Forbes</a>
Forbes is among the most trusted resources for the world's business and investment leaders, providing them the uncompromising commentary, concise analysis, relevant tools and real-time reporting they need to succeed at work, profit from investing and have fun with the rewards of winning.

 

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

For Back to School Be Sure to Check out the Acer C720 Chromebook
For Back to School Be Sure to Check out the Acer C720 Chromebook
Acer C720 Chromebook is available at Amazon for $199.00. It is that time of year again time to start thingking about back to school. Make sure your student is exupt with the best like the Acer Chromebook. Chromebooks...
 
 
Prince George: Queen Elizabeth II will Attend the Birthday Bash
Prince George: Queen Elizabeth II will Attend the Birthday Bash
Queen Elizabeth II will be there at the first birthday bash of Prince George. Where would the celebration be without the great-grandmotherly presence of the elderly matriarch?
 
 
Jenna Ushkowitz Among Stars Attending 4th Annual Celebration Of Dance
Jenna Ushkowitz Among Stars Attending 4th Annual Celebration Of Dance
The 4th Annual Celebration Of Dance Gala Presented By The Dizzy had an impressive line-up of celebrities this weekend. See the photos of the red carpet below.
 
 
Katie Cleary Not Included in Andrew Stern’s Will
Katie Cleary Not Included in Andrew Stern’s Will
Katie Cleary has apparently not been included in her late husband, Andrew Stern’s will. She got nil amount of money from him.
 
 
 

About the Geek Mind


Read more about The Geek Mind.