Here are my top 5 picks for games that deserve a next-gen port.
5. BioShock Infinite - Forbes’ Game of the Year looks great on PC, even if the graphics options are pretty limited. Console gamers never got the chance to see Columbia in all its spectacle and splendor. I’d love to see the game ported to PS4 and Xbox One, and released with all the DLC as some sort of Ultimate Edition.
4. The Last of Us - Perhaps the best-looking game on PS3, you could see just how much Naughty Dog pushed the system to its limits. I can only imagine how incredible it would look on the PS4. Given the loyalty Naught Dog fans have to the developer and the hype around this game, I can imagine lots of people shelling out again for the game.
3. Grand Theft Auto V - This is a no-brainer. Grand Theft Auto V looked great on PS3 and Xbox 360, but there’s no doubt the game would not only look better on Xbox One and PS4, it would be less constricted by memory, allowing more of just about everything, from traffic to crowds to weather effects. And like The Last of Us, I can imagine a lot of series fans to pay again for a next-gen copy.
2. Persona 5 - I know the trendy thing to do with Persona games is to release them on last-gen systems well into the next-generation of consoles. Persona 4 launched on the PS2 two years after the PS3 launched. I’d like Atlus to buck the trend and release the game on PS3 and PS4, especially since cross-play with the PS Vita would be fantastic.
1. Dark Souls II - Currently slated for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, Dark Souls II deserves to be released on every platform possible (including the Wii U.) Since it’s already being developed for PC, it just makes sense for FromSoftware to go the next step. From what I’ve seen of the game on PS3, it looks incredible. But it could look so much better….
There are plenty of other, older games that would be great on next-gen systems. Nintendo should methodically release HD versions of the Wii Zelda games, for instance. Borderlands 2 should have a PS4 port rather than a PS Vita port due to the PS4′s cross-play features. Older games like Demon’s Souls or even 2012′s GOTY Dishonored would be awesome on current hardware.
But these are the five I’d really like to see make the leap.
How about you? Any older games from 2013 or earlier you’d like to see on PS4 or Xbox One?