Feb 19 2014, 7:05am CST | by Sumayah Aamir
Diabetes is one of those diseases of civilization that come from eating too many refined carbohydrates. The unprocessed foods we consume today are a surefire recipe for disaster. Especially the sugars and starches have to be cut down to size if you want to manage your blood sugar levels.
There are several steps you can take in order to control your blood glucose. Below are six important points that happen to be the cornerstones of the diabetes diet. Stick with them and you will remain healthy and happy for the rest of your life on earth:
• Eat six medium-sized meals a day at 3 hour intervals. They ought to contain a balanced ratio of lean proteins, complex carbohydrates and monounsaturated fats.
• The foods that you eat ought to come from a variety of sources. The big three are: whole grains, fruits and vegetables. They can cause no harm. The rest of the nutritious foods include: fish, poultry, nuts and seeds, seafood and lean cuts of beef and mutton. Dairy is good too provided you choose low-fat versions.
• Use the glycemic index to eat only those carbohydrates that do not create a surge in blood glucose. The simple sugars ought to be avoided while complex carbohydrates are the best choice. Especially the addition of foods that contain a lot of water and fiber is best.
• An excess of anything is bad. Keep your diet balanced. A little of everything is the best way of ensuring that you don’t wallow in malnutrition.
• Finally you have to make room for deserts and treats or the diet will literally drive you up the wall! The key is moderation. Never binge on that chocolate cake. Take a few bites from one slice instead. That’s the way you handle the munchies or other cravings for sugar.
blog comments powered by Disqus
The “geek mind” is concerned with more than just the latest iPhone rumors, or which company will win the gaming console wars. I4U is concerned with more than just the latest photo shoot or other celebrity gossip.
The “geek mind” is concerned with life, in all its different forms and facets. The geek mind wants to know about societal and financial issues, both abroad and at home. If a Fortune 500 decides to raise their minimum wage, or any high priority news, the geek mind wants to know. The geek mind wants to know the top teams in the National Football League, or who’s likely to win the NBA Finals this coming year. The geek mind wants to know who the hottest new models are, or whether the newest blockbuster movie is worth seeing. The geek mind wants to know. The geek mind wants—needs—knowledge.
Read more about The Geek Mind.
Reviews | Health | Other Stuff | Medicine | Diabetes | Nutrition | food | Sugar | Dietary fiber | Diets | Plans | Diet | Food science | Health sciences | Diabetes Diet | Simplified | Carbohydrate | Glycemic index | Richard K. Bernstein