Many people find themselves trying to decide between purchasing a tablet or laptop computer. While there are certainly many good reasons to own a laptop, it is difficult to beat tablets.
Here are several ways in which tablets are better than laptop computers:
- Apps – PC/Mac software can be extremely expensive, particularly if you need to use professional versions. Apps, on the other hand, cost much less and there are often large selections of apps that are free. Most major PC or Mac software has an iOS and/or Android equivalent, and many mobile apps simply are not available on PCs or Macs.
- Battery Life – Processors in tablets are typically less powerful than laptops, but this means tablets are much more efficient because they consume less battery life. In addition, laptops run hotter than tablets due to their processors – indeed, some laptops are often uncomfortable to hold on your lap after a short period of time.
- Digital Media – Just like smartphones, tablets are designed to easily purchase and listen to or watch media. The screens on tablets are generally smaller than laptops but tablets are more efficient, allowing simple and easy access to Amazon, iTunes, and Google Play media. In fact, most operating systems integrate one of the three major digital distribution services into their platform. Kindle devices favor Amazon, Apple devices use iTunes, and Android devices (particularly the Google Nexus) prefer Google Play. All these digital distribution services offer some sort of cloud support for free – meaning you can access your media from anywhere at any time without the need to constantly back up your data.
- Ease of Use – The allure of tablets, particularly Apple iPads but also other operating systems, is the intuitive touch-control designs. Whereas laptops have file menus to navigate for specific keyboard inputs to execute different commands, most tablet interfaces feature drag-and-drop controls with simple gestures to perform similar actions. If you still miss the physical touch of a keyboard, you can easily find a compatible keyboard to go with your tablet – even wireless ones!
- Price – While the cost of your device will differ depending on the brand and model you choose, tablets are typically more affordable than laptops. Windows tablets are unique in this area because the Windows Surface is so close to a laptop that the price tag lands in the same area.
- Size – Because they are designed to be mobile, tablets are very compact and lightweight. This makes them far easier to carry than laptops. Laptops are certainly more portable than desktop computers, but tablets can be held in one hand or quickly slipped into your purse of backpack with enough room to fit other things. There is no need for a specific laptop back in addition to any other luggage you may want to carry with you.