More and more people are using their smartphones and tablets for mobile gaming. This mode of play is very convenient, but also has its limits.
These accessories can help you get the most of your mobile gaming experience. The specific products will vary depending on your mobile device, but you can just plug the following terms into your favorite online store or ask a sales representative at a local shop.
- Stylus – The simplest, yet one of the most useful accessories for mobile gaming. A stylus is a small tool that gives you more precise control of the taps on your screen than your fingertip can provide. It also keeps your screen cleaner because you are not constantly pressing and rubbing oily fingertips on it repeatedly for hours!
- Wireless headphones – Audio effects and soundtracks are important components of a full gaming experience. Most smartphones come with wired ear buds, but you just can’t beat cushioned, wireless headphones. If you have games or apps that feature voice chat, you can even opt for a headset that comes with a microphone.
- Display Adapter – Wouldn’t it be amazing to be able to play the games you love on your phone or tablet on your TV? Look for options to stream your games to an external device. These can be called Display Adapters which are often wireless or HDMI cables that provide a more stable connection.
- Arcade Cabinet – One of the more novelty accessories for mobile gaming, an arcade cabinet is a plastic (or sometimes wooden) container you plug your device into. The cabinet typically has a joystick and multiple buttons you can use to control your smartphone, allowing you to devote the entire screen to just viewing the game. This is especially useful for smartphones with smaller screens. Additionally, you are much less likely to throw your phone if you get frustrated during a particular game!
- Extra Battery Packs or Chargers – The bane of every mobile gamer is the low battery notification. Combat this by purchasing additional packs to revive or extend your battery. If you have a smartphone you can take apart, it may be worth getting a new battery regularly and keep the spares. Car chargers or USB chargers make it easy to charge your device when a wall outlet is not handy. Wireless chargers are also popular as you can continue using your device easily while the battery charges. Be careful, however, to monitor your device’s temperature and take a break when it gets too hot.
- Game Controllers – Mobile devices have very limited inputs – you may have a small keyboard or a few external buttons, but most of the controls involve tapping the glass. For more precise controls and a screen with less fingerprint smudges, look for an attachable game controller.