Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson has expressed his disappointment with the team, per multiple reports.
Wide receiver Andre Johnson is unhappy with the Houston Texans.
Don't Miss: Win a Free Nintendo NES Classic in our Giveaway
Johnson apparently doesn't want to be part of yet another Texans rebuilding year, per Brian T. Smith of The Houston Chronicle:
"Andre Johnson is not on board with another Texans rebuild.
"The veteran wide receiver said Tuesday he's highly frustrated with the state of a franchise that went 2-14 last season. Johnson doesn't plan to attend OTAs or an upcoming mandatory camp and is uncertain whether he wants to remain a Texan this year.
"'Is this still the place for me?' Johnson asked following a media event, in which he presented the Houston Women's Center with a $30,000 check.
"Johnson missed last week's first voluntary workout with new Texans coach Bill O'Brien
"The veteran addressed the situation for the first time Tuesday.
"Johnson, 32, is entering his 12th season with the Texans. The No. 3 overall pick of the 2003 NFL Draft is the lone remaining athlete from the franchise's expansion era. He's been through Dom Capers, David Carr, Gary Kubiak and Matt Schaub.
"After watching the Texans fall apart in 2013, posting the league's worst record, the sevent-time Pro Bowler said he and the only team he's every played for are clearly at different stages.
"'Nobody's been here as long as I have. You just kind of look at things; I've been thinking about things this offseason. And I just kind of wonder sometimes, 'Is still the place for me?'
"Johnson leads the Texans in all-time receptions (927), receiving yards (12,261) and receiving touchdowns (61).
"He's been with the Texans before. But this is the first time in recent years Johnson has allowed his feelings to boil over, in essence calling out the Texans for another slow rebuild. In the past, Johnson's frustration was quieted before his feelings became public."
Johnson told ESPN Houston Texans reporter Tania Ganguli he has no plans to take part in organized team activities as well as the team's mandatory minicamp next month. He also clarified he has not asked to be traded.
Johnson said the disappointments with the Texans have reached a new high, per Ganguli.
"Now I'm on my third head coach, that's something I give thought to. I just look over my career, is it a place? I've only been to the playoffs twice. I think we've only had three winning seasons, two 8-8 seasons. I don't think any player wants to experience that.
"...You go through a rebuilding process, some people say it's not rebuilding, some people say it's a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. But I've been through this more than once. When I make my decision, I'll make my decision."
NFL.com's Chris Wesseling analyzes any potential issues with Houston eventually trading Johnson -- particularly those that deal with the salary cap.
"Although there are Texans fans who believe the franchise icon deserves to be set free to join a contender, we remain skeptical that the team's brass will be motivated enough to pull the trigger unless Johnson turns himself into a nuisance of Eagles-era Terrell Owens proportions.
"If the Texans were inclined to field offers for the NFL's second-most productive receiver over the past two seasons, salary cap repercussions still present a formidable hurdle.
"A Johnson trade would leave $11.96 million in dead money against the Texans' 2014 cap, per NFL Media's Albert Breer. Perhaps just as prohibitive, a prospective suitor would need the space to absorb Johnson's monstrous contract.
"The receiver-needy (Cleveland) Browns are one of the few teams capable of meeting that qualification, but that would hardly satisfy Johnson's desire to join an instant contender."
For more of the hottest sports news, log on to Sport Balla today.