A lawyer for former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is seeking to delay sentencing by two weeks. Defense attorney Robert Jenkins on Tuesday asked a federal judge to push Nagin's sentencing hearing from June 11 to June 28 to better prepare.
Jenkins said he needs more time to review a pre-sentencing investigation, which was filed filed May 7. The findings of that investigation will influence the sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan.
In an ABC News report, Prosecutors said Nagin received more than $501,000 in money, goods and services from businessmen in exchange for lucrative work early in his tenure as mayor, and as the city sought to rebuild in the aftermath of the catastrophic hurricane. Nagin's attorney, Robert Jenkins, said the amount should be less because Nagin shared liability with others, but U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan agreed with prosecutors in the forfeiture judgment.
Nagin, who has stayed out of jail since his indictment in January 2013 and remained free after his February conviction, could be immediately remanded to prison after Berrigan hands down his sentence. Lawyers familiar with federal sentencing guidelines have said they expect the former two-term mayor to get a hefty sentence, possibly 20 years.
Jenkins notes in his new court papers that prosecutors are aware of and oppose his bid for a delay.
Earlier this Month Nagin's wife, Seletha Nagin, filed for bankruptcy in a Texas court. Nagin filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the Eastern District of Texas on Monday May 7th, the day before the Nagin's townhouse near Dallas was scheduled for a foreclosure sale, according to the report.
The filing was meant to be a way to amend the amount of money Nigin would have to pay the government before the sentence was handed down. The result of the conviction gave the judge no reason to reduce the amount he owed the government even after the bankruptcy filing was submitted to the Texas court.