According to Jeremy Roebuck of The Philadelphia Inquirer, the 52-year-old Marino is alleging that the league has long been aware of the effects of concussions on players' long-term health but chose to ignore them, anyway:
"Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and one of the NFL's highest-profile alums, has joined the ranks of former players suing the league over concussion-related injuries.
"In court filings late last week, Marino, 52, claimed that league officials had long been aware of the long-term effects of repeated hits to the head but chose to ignore these warnings and put players' health at risk.
"But unlike some of the more than 5,000 ex-players who have filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, Marino did not specify any explicit condition with which he has struggled in his post-football career.
"Marino and his lawyer, Sol Weiss, one of the attorneys who last year negotiated a proposed $765 million settlement with the league, could not be reached for comment Monday.
"But should he accept the deal, according to other lawyers involved in the case, Marino's involvement could go a long way toward selling other former players on the plan, which has come under increasing scrutiny since a judge declined to grant it preliminary approval earlier this year.
"In the lawsuit, the former players have alleged that NFL officials hid the dangers or repeated hits to the head while mytholigizing the violence of their sport.
"Their ranks include players such as Kevin Turner, an Eagles fullback from 1995-99 who is now battling ALS and is one of the faces of the class-action suit, and former Dallas Cowboys running back and Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, who confirmed last year that he had been diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disorder.
"But by any yardstick, Marino, considerd in some circles to be among the best quarterbacks in NFL history, would be one of the highest-profile former players to join the suit to date."
Fourteen other new plaintiffs joined Marino, "including former New England Patriots defensive tackle Richard Bishop and the estate of former (Philadelphia) Eagle Floyd Peters," per Roebuck.
The Los Angeles Times' Nathan Fenno also confirms no specific condition for Marino in the lawsuit. Fenno then adds more pertinent details:
"No specific symptoms are alleged for Marino, selected to nine Pro Bowl games when he played from 1983 to 1999. Boilerplate language is used in Marino's short-form complaint. One is submitted for each plaintiff.
"'Our information and belief, the Plaintiff...sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices,' the short-form complaint said.
"Marino, 52, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.
"One of Marino's attorneys, Sol Weiss, is also co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in the consolidated litigation against the NFL. A federal judge rejected the proposed settlement in January, concerned about whether the settlement amount is sufficient for all affected players.
"'We continue to work at the direction of the Court and Special Master as they review the settlement agreement and rightfully ensure that all members of the class are protected,' Weiss and Chris Seeger, the other co-lead counsel, said in a statement. 'We look forward to finalizing this agreement so that former players can soon begin taking advantage of its benefits.'
"Marino's lawsuit seeks medical monitoring and unspecified financial recovery."
The 52-year-old Marino spent his entire 17-year NFL career with the Dolphins. He threw for 61,361 yards, 420 touchdowns and 252 interceptions on an 86.4 percent QB rating, per Pro-Football-Reference.com.
He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2005.