The former Beatles singer announced Monday tour stops scheduled for mid-June will be postponed to October. He was supposed to kick off the U.S. leg of his tour Saturday. Instead his first show will be July 5 in Albany, New York.
His spokesman announced the cancelations today as well as the new dates that have been scheduled to replace them. Paul McCartney himself also released a statement to break the news and apologize for the delay.
“I’m sorry, but it’s going to be a few more weeks before we get rocking in America again. I’m feeling great but taking my docs’ advice to take it easy for just a few more days. Look forward to seeing you all soon,” McCartney said in a statement posted Monday on his website, paulmccartney.com
McCartney was hospitalized last month in Tokyo with what authorities said was a virus. He’s still recovering.
The former Beatle was to kick off a U.S. tour this month with a stop June 14 in Lubbock, Texas, the home of the late Buddy Holly. Additional concerts included a June 21 stop in Atlanta and subsequent gigs in Jacksonville, Nashville and Louisville.
He will now resume touring July 5 in Albany, N.Y., according to the website.
U.S. tickets for the seven original June dates will be honored at the new dates. The tour wraps up Oct. 28 in Louisville, Kentucky.
All of the canceled dates have been rescheduled for October. They are: Lubbock, Tex. (Oct. 2); New Orleans (Oct. 11); Dallas (Oct. 13); Atlanta (Oct. 15); Nashville (Oct. 16); Jacksonville, Fla. (Oct. 25); and Louisville, Ky. (Oct. 28).
These aren’t the only dates in Paul McCartney’s current tour that have been canceled as a result of illness. He also canceled dates in Japan and South Korea last month.
McCartney turns 72 next week.