Menu

Floyd Mayweather Confirms Rematch with Maidana

Jul 11 2014, 2:08am CDT | by , in News | Latest Sports News

Floyd Mayweather Confirms Rematch with Maidana
Harry How/ Getty Images

Undefeated pound-for-pound king, Floyd Mayweather Jr., will fight Argentine Marcos Maidana for the second time, the 37-year old Orthodox boxer confirmed the rematch on social media today.

Mayweather-Maidana II, dubbed "Mayhem," will transpire on September 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena - the same domain where Mayweather fought the younger Maidana in May this year. The latter lost to a majority decision, with the former taking 117 over 111, 116 over 112 and 114 over 114.

Mayweather is still unbeaten, but Maidana was his most difficult opponent so far in years. Now, Mayweather wants to erase any doubts about his dominance in the sport.

"Marcos Maidana is a tough customer and he gave me a fight that had me work for the victory," Mayweather said in a news release. "His style is difficult at best, but with experience comes a way and will to win. I'm not one to give second chances in the ring, but I want to give the fans what they want to see. I will be as prepared as I always am when I step in the ring on Sept. 13. I only see the outcome one way and that's another successful night for me and my team."

In response to Mayweather's offer, Maidana said, "The rematch with Mayweather is the only fight that really motivates me. I feel I earned it in the ring and Floyd owed it to me. I've already proved that I don't care if the man I have in front of me is the best pound-for-pound champion. I was close to ending his reign last time. On Sept. 13 he will not get away undefeated."

Mayweather-Maidana II will be promoted by Golden Boy Promotions - a long-time promoter of Mayweather's matches. Golden Boy Promotions is also the promoter of Maidana.

Last month, Floyd Mayweather decided to drop Golden Boy as the co-promoter of his own company, Mayweather Promotions, following the resignation of Richard Schaefer - a close friend of Floyd. But according to ESPN, Golden Boy will continue to promote the rematch because Mayweather Promotions is not licensed in Nevada.

Plus, the firm, founded by former boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya, has a lot of experience in handling Mayweather fights at the MGM.

In an interview with reporters earlier today, De La Hoya said that there's no reason for Floyd and Golden Boy to stop working together.

"We don't have to be best of friends. But we don't have to be enemies or rivals or have issues. I'm glad that we came to terms and made this fight happen. The fact that he understood and the fact that he gave us the opportunity. It's a business, and behind his decision was common sense. We bring something to the table that is very valuable. We know how to promote fights," De La Hoya added.

Mayweather is the highest-paid athlete in the world. According to Forbes, Mayweather earned $105 million from June 2013 to June 2014

You May Also Like

Comments

Share this Story

Follow Us
Follow I4U News on Twitter
Follow I4U News on Facebook

Advertisement

Read the Latest from I4U News