Menu
Trending: Holiday Gifts | CES 2015 | Super Bowl 2015 Ads More Topics: Apple | Cars | TV Shows | Politics
The Best 2014 Super Bowl Ads

The Best 2014 Super Bowl Ads

CES 2015: LG will unveil its New 4K Ultra HD TV with Quantum Dot Technology

CES 2015: LG will unveil its New 4K Ultra HD TV with Quantum Dot Technology

Budweiser Super Bowl 2015 Ad leaks

Budweiser Super Bowl 2015 Ad leaks

Google Car Initiative to go ahead via Android

Google Car Initiative to go ahead via Android

Sony cancels The Interview Release on Christmas

Sony cancels The Interview Release on Christmas

Tony Dungy Clarifies Comments About Michael Sam

Jul 23 2014, 12:16am CDT | by , in News | Latest Sports News

Tony Dungy Clarifies Comments About Michael Sam
Photo Credit: Getty Images
/* Story Top Left 2010 300x250, created 7/15/10 */ google_ad_slot = "8340327155";

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy clarified his comments about not wanting to draft openly gay St. Louis Rams defensive end Michael Sam.

Tony Dungy has clarified his statement on Michael Sam

The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts head coach and current NFL television analyst issued a statement which was uploaded by NBC Sports' Mike Florio on July 22:

"On Monday afternoon while on vacation with my family, I was quite surprised to read excerpts from an interview I gave several weeks ago related to this year's NFL Draft, and I feel compelled to clarify those remarks.

"I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael's first season had been announced.

"I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunitiy to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

"I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

"I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

"I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way -- by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

"The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they're good enough to play. That's my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

"What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

"I do not believe Michael's sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

"I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

"I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

"My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation."

Dungy's statement is in response to controversy over his previous comments in a Tampa Bay Tribune interview with Ira Kaufman on July 20:

Dungy quipped, "I wouldn't have taken him. Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it...It's not going to be totally smooth...things will happen."

Kaufman wrote two days later that the public reaction to what Dungy said was mixed:

"On Monday, Dungy's remarks were widely discussed on social media and national radio and television programs. Some commentators were supportive of his remarks, while others were disappointed.

"On ESPN, Keith Olbermann nominated Dungy as today's 'Worst Person in the Sports World.'

"'Tony Dungy just admitted that Tony Dungy wouldn't be skilled enough to coach to deal with the distraction of doing the right thing,' Olbermann said Monday night.

"On a national conference call Tuesday, new Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks, who was coached by Dungy for six years in Tampa, was asked about the controversy.

"'He's probably saying what 31 other teams were probably thinking, because they didn't draft (Sam), for whatever reason,' Brooks said."

Nevertheless, Sam said he has "a great respect for Dungy," per NFL.com's Dan Hanzus:

"Thank God he wasn't St. Louis Rams coach. But I have a great respect for Dungy, and everyone in America is entitled to their own opinions.

"I don't really care what people are coming up and talking about. My job is to make this team, that's my number one priority."

For more of the hottest sports news, log on to Sport Balla today.

You Might Also Like

Read the Latest

Samsung Reportedly Revealing New Tizen-Powered Camera at CES 2015

Samsung Reportedly Revealing New Tizen-Powered Camera at CES 2015 The NX500 camera, which is the successor of the NX300M, will be unveiled at January’s big event

3 hours ago

Bitcoin backer gets two years prison for illicit transfers

Bitcoin backer gets two years prison for illicit transfers Shrem was charged in January following an investigation into Silk Road

4 hours ago

CES 2015 News
Tim Cook 'Deeply Offended' by BBC Documentary on Apple Factory Conditions

Tim Cook 'Deeply Offended' by BBC Documentary on Apple Factory Conditions The BBC report claims that Chinese workers were forced to work long hours and are denied a day off

4 hours ago

2016 CADILLAC CTS FEATURES STREAMING VIDEO TO ENHANCE DRIVER VISIBILITY

2016 CADILLAC CTS FEATURES STREAMING VIDEO TO ENHANCE DRIVER VISIBILITY Cadillac will add high-resolution streaming video to the function of a traditional rearview mirror

4 hours ago

iPhone Universal Remote to be Revealed at CES 2015

iPhone Universal Remote to be Revealed at CES 2015 Pronto will be launched at January’s big event

1 day ago, 12:29pm CST

Verizon now gives you 50% off on Android phones priced at $199 or more

Verizon now gives you 50% off on Android phones priced at $199 or more The Galaxy Note 4 can now be had for just $149.99

1 day ago, 11:58am CST

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus ship times drop to one day

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus ship times drop to one day Apple appears to be catching up with demand for its latest devices

1 day ago, 11:43am CST

North Korea wants joint investigation with US into Sony hack

North Korea wants joint investigation with US into Sony hack North Korea has even proposed a joint investigation into the attack

1 day ago, 11:30am CST

Kodak to exhibit at CES 2015

Kodak to exhibit at CES 2015 Making return after 3 year hiatus from event

1 day ago, 7:00am CST

Kate Upton is Sexiest Woman Alive 2014

Kate Upton is Sexiest Woman Alive 2014 People Magazine voted blonde bombshell Kate Upton the Sexiest Woman Alive of 2014.

1 day ago, 6:52am CST

Extreme Tech semifinals coming to CES 2015 Challenge helps entrepreneurs bring products to market

1 day ago, 6:51am CST

Samsung Reportedly Revealing Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at CES 2015

Samsung Reportedly Revealing 2015 Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at CES The Korean giant is planning to hit back Apple’s iPad with its new tablets

1 day ago, 2:33am CST

FBI announces that North Korea Hacked Sony

FBI announces that North Korea Hacked Sony The FBI issued a statement today saying that North Korea is behind the hacker attack on Sony.

2 days ago, 1:32pm CST

ADATA to present Innovative Consumer Products at CES 2015

ADATA to present Innovative Consumer Products at CES 2015 They will unveil World’s fastest DDR4 Memory, USB 3.1, and LED lighting products in the Spotlight

2 days ago, 11:35am CST

BlackBerry gets positive cash flows

BlackBerry gets positive cash flows BlackBerry Achieves Non-GAAP Profitability and Positive Cash Flow for the Fiscal 2015 Third Quarter

2 days ago, 11:19am CST

Sony's CES 2015 teaser features Android TV

Sony's CES 2015 teaser features Android TV The teaser trailer is a slightly odd collection of scenes including a chameleon, a time-lapse of the Paris skyline and...

2 days ago, 11:13am CST

Startups at the International CES 2015

Startups at the International CES 2015 Eureka Park will be the one featuring these startups which total to around 375 at this years CES.

2 days ago, 10:53am CST

CES 2015 also to host Extreme Tech Challenge Semi-Finals

CES 2015 also to host Extreme Tech Challenge Semi-Finals The competition will bring together resources and world-class advisors to the CES 2015 platform in order to help...

2 days ago, 10:46am CST

CES 2015 will also feature ACCESS Twine for Virtual Multiscreen Content Libraries The new ACCESS Twine will be for Virtual Multiscreen Content Libraries at the CES 2015. This will offer a single user...

2 days ago, 8:34am CST

Facebook declines in Popularity among Teens a little more this year

Facebook declines in Popularity among Teens a little more this year The social interaction is losing its popularity due to messaging apps available including Whatsapp and Snapchat.

2 days ago, 8:04am CST

CES 2015: IC Real Tech will debut World’s First 720-Degree Immersive Video Camera It will be viewed and controlled via todays leading mobile devices and also delivers 3D like monitoring experience. The...

2 days ago, 6:57am CST

Game Worn Michael Jordan Shoes sold for $33k

Game Worn Michael Jordan Shoes sold for $33k The right side foot is signed by Jordan along with ‘Best Wishes’ although it is faded now. The shoes were definitely...

2 days ago, 6:45am CST

THX to bring new HDMI tech to CES 2015

THX to bring new HDMI tech to CES 2015 4K Interconnect program to work with 2.0 and beyond

2 days ago, 6:42am CST

Smart Wallet tech coming to CES 2015

Smart Wallet tech coming to CES 2015 NXT-ID to unveil Wocket smart wallet

2 days ago, 6:20am CST

CES 2015 to feature Toshiba's Wide Range of Next-Generation Innovations

CES 2015 to feature Toshiba's Wide Range of Next-Generation Innovations The Toshiba exhibition at the CES 2015 is going to include new concept innovations and solutions for energy, storage...

2 days ago, 6:09am CST

ICANN has been hacked by a Bunch of Phishers

ICANN has been hacked by a Bunch of Phishers Global internet governing body ICANN has just been hacked by a bunch of phishers.

2 days ago, 5:59am CST

CES 2015: ZTE to showcase Voice Controlled Star 2 with an Array of Flagship Devices ZTE launched its flagship smart phone Star 2 in China on Thursday. ZTE is going to showcase an array of flagship...

2 days ago, 5:11am CST

#Instapurge 2014: Instagram deletes Millions Of Followers from Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Beyonce and Many Other Celeb's Accounts An Instapurge of sorts has occurred on Instagram in the current year. And the top 100 accounts have been affected.

2 days ago, 4:15am CST

Google unveils The MPAA's Plan to resuscitate SOPA via Lawmaking

Google unveils MPAA's Plan to resuscitate SOPA via Lawmaking The Motion Picture Association’s plan is to resuscitate SOPA via some lawmaking. Google said that the MPAA tried to...

2 days ago, 2:57am CST

Pepsi Hyped for Halftime campaign pushes Super Bowl 2015 Halftime Show

Pepsi Hyped for Halftime campaign pushes Super Bowl 2015 Halftime Show Pepsi has already geared up their Super Bowl 2015 campaign for the Pepsi sponsored Super Bowl 2015 halftime show...

2 days ago, 2:18am CST

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus