Never Underestimate the Power of this Black Man!
He’s Back in Black!
And Black is Beautiful!
So…Never Underestimate the Power of this Black Man!
Kanye Omari West
Born to Rap
June 8th, 1977 (the 70s were an environmentally-aware generation and Kanye must have grown up knowing all about the ozone hole and acid rain as other kids his age back then were cognizant of too.)
Chicago, Illinois (that is the city from which President Obama hails too. It is known for being a cultural melting pot and general food paradise with a number of restaurants in the vicinity. And of course how could I forget, there is the University of Chicago, a bastion of erudite scholarship and genuine higher education.)
Buzz on What he Does
Rap Star who took the Genre beyond its Violent Gangsta Roots, Lyric Lodestar, Churner of Cool Records, Mucho Macho Movie-Maker, Hero of Economic Life and Full-On Fashioneer…and there is more to this man who is a dynamo of energy and enthusiasm.
A Few Facts in a Flurry…
Kanye West said that while he was in Asia, most people were in awe of his dark looks. They would come and touch his face to see if he had paint on his skin or not!
He is no stranger to controversy. Kanye likes to speak his mind even if he sometimes puts his foot in his mouth. He said in a script-less sound byte at the moment of Hurricane Katrina that “George Bush hates black people.” Later on he apologized for the crude words and Bush too accepted the contrite rapper’s apology. But Bush had earlier on described the event as the most disgusting moment of his presidency.
Kanye also snatched the microphone from Taylor Swift at an award show and shouted out that Beyonce deserved the accolade more than the country singer. This really turned the tide against him. He was disparaged and dissed online too. Later on he took back what he had said about Taylor and personally said sorry to her. Taylor was gracious enough to accept his regrets with a smile.
Kanye’s music is beautiful, magical and truly funky, crazy and cool! It reminds one of Disney Land in all its fanfare and razzmatazz. The colorful splashes of sounds and tunes not to mention beats that dribble transport one into a mystical wonder-world where pure fantasy and good vibes exist. His “Gold Digger” and “Niggas in Paris” have made him the name that is into his game. Kanye is one Kool Kat and he knows it more than anyone else.
Style entrepreneur, humanitarian he-man and generally busy man about town! Kanye has got it all and you better believe it!
Life Story…One Man’s Way!
He was born in the city of Chicago and learnt the fine art of rap at the young age of three. That was about the same time when his parents split up. His mother was the dominant influence in his life and she groomed him into the solid personality and sometimes mercurial artist he would later on become. Kanye spent time with his father occasionally after the split. Later on his mother, who was an English teacher, took him to China where she had a stint as a lecturer. Kanye blended in with the Chinese crowd despite being a black kid. He also learnt Mandarin but forgot it later on.
Kanye always wanted to be a rapper. From day one it was his dream to rap his way to success. But he had a tough time convincing most studio heads to back his songs and albums. The main reason for this was that the world was in love with the likes of Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls. Gangsta Rap was the status quo when Kanye decided to experiment with something different from the violent and thuggish lifestyle of guns, guts and gore. However, later on he finally succeeded in gaining a name as the man who brought rap music to a mainstream audience. And he also made it popular not just for its provocation value but for its honesty and goodness as a means of free expression.
Kanye was taken up by Jay-Z in the beginning and the two collaborated on some stuff. Later on one fine day when he was coming home in his Lexus, he had a near-fatal car crash which left him with most of his jawbone broken to smithereens. While he was in the hospital and undergoing reconstructive surgery, Kanye decided to seek inspiration and milk his pain for its experiential value. He called the effort “Through the Wire” and it finally gained him a degree of recognition for its originality and authenticity. Kanye admits to this day that he felt less pain due to the making of his album which was a sort of sublimation of his raw talent.
From there onwards, Kanye West became a person who would reach the dazzling (and dizzying) peaks of fame and fantasy. His mother, whom he dearly loved, was visibly upset when Kanye dropped out of college to work on his musical life, but later on she accepted it when she saw that he was not meant to sit in a classroom and chew on an HB pencil while listening to a boring lecture. Kanye loved to experiment and he also took in a lot of influences like a sponge before it is wet. Janet Jackson, The Wu-Tang Clan, Portishead, Franz Ferdinand, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, The Killers, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Coldplay, U2, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were all in the mix-and-mash that turned out to be the handsome and cool Kanye West.
When his mama died due to complications from cosmetic surgery, Kanye was very sad and heartbroken. He dedicated a song to her titled “Hey Mama”. It is indeed a beautiful tribute to the first person we all really love in our lives. It’s definitely worth listening to! Later on Kanye added a lot of synthesizer music along with pop, hiphop, disco, jazz, rock and R&B not to mention soul to his style. He truly became a self-made man who designed himself from the ground up and transformed his personality inside out till he was one of the biggest rap artists and rich and famous people on the planet.
And with his fame came the need for a beautiful and very good wife whom he could love and who would be the mother of his children. This was to be none other than the Venus-figured Kim Kardashian of the KUWTK Reality TV Show. The two had a grand wedding and soon enough after the usual nine months, Kim was pregnant. She was to give birth to their beloved daughter who was named North West. Now that classic name is inspiration in a small package!
A sparkling career, a drop dead gorgeous spouse and an adorable daughter…is it all for real?
It definitely is for Kanye who is a fashion icon and philanthropist as well as a dapper rapper!
- The College Dropout
- Late Registration
- 808s & Heartbreak
- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Watch the Throne
- The Love Guru
- We Were Once a Fairytale
- Cruel Summer
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
- The Cleveland Show
- Keeping up with the Kardashians
Awards and Accolades...
- American Music Awards: Wins 2 out of 8 Nominations
- ASCAP Awards: Wins 6 out of 6 Nominations
- Australia Video Music Award: Wins 0 out of 8 Nominations
- BET Awards: Wins 7 out of 30 Nominations
- BET Hip Hop Awards: Wins 11 out of 53 Nominations
- Billboard Music Awards: Wins 4 out of 17 Nominations
- Billboard Spin Awards: Wins 1 out of 1 Nominations
- Billboard Year-End Chart Awards: Wins 1 out of 1 Nominations
- Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Awards: Wins 2 out of 8 Nominations
- Bravo A-List Awards: Wins 0 out of 4 Nominations
- BMI Urban Music: Wins 13 out of 13 Nominations
- BRIT Awards: Wins 3 out of 8 Nominations
- ECHO Awards: Wins 1 out of 1 Nominations
- Grammy Awards: Wins 21 out of 53 Nominations
- GQ Awards: Wins 2 out of 2 Nominations
- International Dance Music Awards: Wins 1 out of 1 Nominations
- Meteor Music Awards: Wins 1 out of 1 Nominations
- MOBO Awards: Wins 6 out of 17 Nominations
- MTV Asia Music Awards: Wins 0 out of 2 Nominations
- MTV Europe Music Awards: Wins 2 out of 17 Nominations
- MTV's Annual Hottest MC: Wins 1 out of 6 Nominations
- MTV Video Music Awards: Wins 4 out of 38 Nominations
- mtvU Woodie Award: Wins 1 out of 2 Nominations
- Much Music Awards: Wins 3 out of 11 Nominations
- NAACP Image Awards: Wins 1 out of 14 Nominations
- NME Awards: Wins 3 out of 6 Nominations
- O Music Awards: Wins 2 out of 4 Nominations
- People's Choice Awards: Wins 2 out of 4 Nominations
- Planeta Awards: Wins 0 out of 1 Nominations
- Soul Train Award: Wins 1 out of 4 Nominations
- Source Awards: Wins 3 out of 7 Nominations
- Sucker Free Awards: Wins 2 out of 3 Nominations
- Teen Choice Awards: Wins 1 out of 7 Nominations
- TRL Awards: Wins 1 out of 2 Nominations
- Vibe Awards: Wins 2 out of 10 Nominations
- Video Music Awards Japan: Wins 2 out of 4 Nominations
- World Music Awards: Wins 2 out of 14 Nominations
An only lonely child, Kanye is susceptible to a little narcissism. He has compared Hollywood stars to slaves and the paparazzi to oppressors.
Kanye has said that the modern day Marilyn Monroe figure, Scarlett Johansson, is his favorite all-time white girl. But his wife Kim comes first of course in the loyalty and fidelity index.
Kanye admits that he is a good learner and that is what has benefited him in life. Otherwise he is as talented as any Tom, Dick or Harry.
Finally, Kanye says with an air of resignation that nothing is certain in life expect for the fact that one day it will end. So the purpose is to choose wisely and live each day like it was your last!
Put a Baseball Cap on…
For Kanye can Rap on…
He is the Black Superman…
And this man definitely can…