Switch-hitting outfielder Melky Cabrera agreed to a three-year deal with the Chicago White Sox worth between $42 million and $43.5 million on Dec. 14.
Melky Cabrera is on his way to the Chicago White Sox.
MLB.com's Scott Merkin reported on Dec. 14 that Cabrera agreed to a deal between $42 million and $43.5 million with the White Sox. The information came from a league source who told Merkin's colleague, Jesse Sanchez.
On the other hand, a Dec. 14 update by ESPN Chicago's Doug Padilla states Cabrera's deal -- which is pending a physical -- is worth $42 million. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick obtained the information from his own league source.
Padilla says Cabrera will take over left field duties for the White Sox. He says the Seattle Mariners were said to be interested in his services before Chicago dangled a lucrative offer his way.
The White Sox have yet to confirm the deal, per Merkin. Bruce Levine of The Score 670 AM first reported on Cabrera's agreement with Chicago. Merkin confirms having Cabrera on board will bring the team over the $100 million mark as far as its 2015 Opening Day payroll is concerned.
Cabrera's acquisition is the latest in a string the White Sox have made in recent weeks.
First, they locked up starter Jeff Samardzija in a six-player deal last week. Chicago then lured former New York Yankees closer David Robertson into the fold, signing him to a four-year, $46 million deal. The White Sox then fortified their bullpen by adding lefty reliever Dan Jennings in a deal with the Miami Marlins, per MLB.com.
As if these weren't enough, Chicago also added another lefty reliever in Zach Duke and former Washington Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche, Merkin adds.
White Sox outfielder outfielder Adam Eaton told Daryl Van Schouwen of The Chicago Sun-Times on Sunday that he has been impressed with management's latest moves:
"Samardzija and Robertson go 'boom-boom,' and you get so excited, Chicago is. Then the (Chicago) Cubs sign (Jon) Lester, and that fuels the fire for us to make big moves, and then (Saturday) night comes the Melky move. To see those guys have a plan, put it in motion and see it play out is impressive.
"This many moves? I think everyone is shocked. It shows confidence in us, even though we had a rough year last year."
Sox broadcaster Steve Stone told Van Schouwen he is just as impressed:
"I cant' tell you how excited I am that (White Sox chairman) Jerry (Reinsdorf), (executive vice president) Ken (Williams) and (vice president and general manager) Rick (Hahn) are going for it this year. If the Sox players have years like their careers suggest they will, this will be a very tough ballclub. It should really excite the fans and get them out to the ballpark.
"These last couple of weeks have been remarkable."
The White Sox previously offered a contract to outfielder Dayan Viciedo in early December. Now that Cabrera is almost officially on board, Padilla stresses Viciedo will be "nothing more than a backup" as Cabrera is better defensively.
The 30-year-old Cabrera has amassed 1,262 hits, 88 home runs and 520 RBIs on a .286 batting average in 1,211 career regular-season games for the New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco Giants and Toronto Blue Jays, per ESPN stats.
Buy Now: Sony PlaysStation VR In Stock Here
For more of the hottest sports news, log on to Sport Balla today.