Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) today made it clear that finalists and overall winner of its Bluetooth Breakthrough Awards 2016 will be announced next year January 5 in Las Vegas.
Don't Miss: Sam's Club Black Friday 2016 Details
The award is to recognize the best Bluetooth-based products and related apps in the market, while also giving visibility and recognition to innovative prototypes that are under construction and about to be launched soon.
Those that made it to the final for 2016 were innovators that developed appliances that could be used in the kitchen, POS terminals, and many other items that showcase how Bluetooth technology could drive digital operations of these things.
“Our members continue to amaze us with previously undreamed-of uses for our technology. I was blown away by the innovations we saw this year, particularly in the prototype category,” said Mark Powell, executive director of the Bluetooth SIG. “Only Bluetooth can make such a wide variety of new products possible in such a short amount of time.”
And then Errett Kroeter, vice president of marketing for the Bluetooth SIG noted that “These submissions also provide a glimpse of what to expect at CES and further into 2016. Home automation is certainly an important trend in the development of the IoT, but we will also see exciting developments outside the home in areas like location-based services, retail and energy harvesting. All of these categories and more are represented by Breakthrough Awards finalists.”
Some of the finalists include:
1. Breakthrough Product
• Fliegl Tracker, beacon-based system for food safety documentation (Fliegl Agratechnik GmbH)
• Connected Ranges and Wall Ovens, smart kitchen appliances (GE Appliances)
• Switch, Home-kit enabled wall outlet (iDevices, LLC)
• iLumi LED Smartbulb, smart bulb with mesh technology (iLumi Solutions)
• Loopd Badge, beacon-based badge for corporate events (Loopd Inc)
• Perfect Bake, smart baking scale (Perfect Company)
2. Breakthrough Application
• Powered by Avi-On Ecosystem, mesh-based lighting and smart home control application (Avi-On)
• Bleu Point-of-Sale Network, beacon-based POS terminal and application (Bleu Tech Enterprises, LLC)
• ReSound Smart App, hearing aid and smartphone/Apple Watch application (GN ReSound A/S)
3. Breakthrough Prototype
• Bioshift, automatic bicycle gear shift system (Baron Biosystems Ltd.)
• BeaconOutlet, beacon-based replacement for traditional outlets to easily create IoT infrastructures (BeaconGrid)
• Smart home device, product to control devices (Cassia Networks)
• Phree, smart pen that can write on any surface and transmit in real time to most apps (OTM Technologies Ltd.)
• MudWatt Wireless Weather Station, an environmental sensor powered by mud (Sapphire Circuits LLC)
• iCap, smart pill-bottle cap fits existing prescription bottles to improve adherence to medication schedules (Timer Cap Company)
4. APAC Regional
• ChaseWind Cycling Glasses, smart heads-up display for cyclists (ChaseWind)
• Xtomp, wireless guitar pedal that replicates a variety of pedal effects (Hotone Audio Company)
• Easy Sou-vide, smart electric cooker and temperature control (KitchBot)
The overall winner and winners in each category will be announced at Discover Blue during the Consumer Electronics Show on January 5 in Las Vegas. All the finalists will be given a nRF52 DK Development Kit from Semiconductor ASA and a Bluetooch Smart Starter Development Kit from Qualcomm Technologies; and the overall winner will win two round trip tickets to see the Bluetooth World 2016 in March as well be given free space to exhibit his innovations.
Buy Now: Sony PlaysStation VR In Stock Here
“We believe in continually developing, enhancing, and expanding the reach of wireless technology,” said Alf Helge Omre, Business Development Manager of Nordic Semiconductor. “The Bluetooth SIG does an excellent job of fostering innovation and collaboration in the industry and we are proud to support this great program and all of these finalists who change our expectations of what a wireless product can do.”