Ebola Is Back In Sierra Leone

Posted: Jan 17 2016, 3:16am CST | by , in News | Latest Political News


Ebola is Back In Sierra Leone
Photo Credit: Getty Images

The WHO just declared Africa Ebola free, but new reports say its back.

Last week the WHO declared Africa as Ebola free, but warned that flare-ups are possible. On the weekend Sierra Leone has put over 100 people into quarantine after a woman died of Ebola.

The woman who died has possibly exposed 27 others to the Ebola virus. The Sierra Leone government urges the public not to panic as the quarantine measures have been announced. The WHO says that the Sierra Leone government acted rapidly to respond to this new case. Through the country’s new emergency operations centre, a joint team of local authorities, WHO and partners are investigating the origin of the case, identifying contacts and initiating control measures to prevent further transmission.

"We are now at a critical period in the Ebola epidemic as we move from managing cases and patients to managing the residual risk of new infections,” said Dr Bruce Aylward, WHO’s Special Representative for the Ebola Response. “We still anticipate more flare-ups and must be prepared for them.”

Sierra Leone is still in a 90-day period of enhanced surveillance following the declaration on 7 November 2015 of the end of Ebola transmission in the country. This period is designed to ensure no hidden chains of transmission have been missed and to detect any new flare-ups of the disease. 

You May Like


The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/2" rel="author">Luigi Lugmayr</a>
Luigi Lugmayr () is the founding chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at ml@i4u.com.




Leave a Comment

Share this Story

Follow Us
Follow I4U News on Twitter
Follow I4U News on Facebook

Read the Latest from I4U News