Menu
Anna Kendrick is New Private Photo Leak

Anna Kendrick is New Victim in Private Photo Leak

Wrist Camera Drone Nixie is the Selfie Future

Wrist Camera Drone Nixie is the Selfie Future

[titl]

Behati Prinsloo is Naked in new Maroon 5 Video

When Will The Apple Watch Come Out?

When Will The Apple Watch Come Out?

Pee-Wee Herman stars in New TV on the Radio Video

Pee-Wee Herman stars in New TV on the Radio Video

A Giant Dies, Another is Reborn: The Yahoo/Microsoft Partnership

Jul 29 2009, 11:35am CDT | by , in News | Technology News

A Giant Dies, Another is Reborn: The Yahoo/Microsoft Partnership
 
Buy Bing/Yahoo from Amazon Cyber Monday and Black Friday Now
 
Full Story

A Giant Dies, Another is Reborn: The Yahoo/Microsoft Partnership

Yahoo has been a major player in the search engine market almost since the beginning. Their share of the market has waned a lot in recent years, but they still kept a respectable portion (20%) out of Google's hands. Now Microsoft's and Yahoo have partnered up and Bing will be handling all of Yahoo's search needs. This deal will boost Yahoo's revenue substantially and give Bing the market share it needs to take the fight to Google's doorstep.

This 10 year agreement means a lot of money for Yahoo. They're estimated to rake in a mind-blowing 500 million dollars annually once the partnership is fully implemented. That's going to take about two years, a worthwhile wait for a deal this lucrative. Yahoo's yearly capital expenditure savings are expected to top 200 million and, all told, they should gain an 275 million in annual operating cashflow as a result of this arrangement.

This deal means big things for Microsoft's AdCenter self-service advertising platform, which will now handle self-serve advertising for both companies. Despite that, Yahoo definitely got the better end of the deal financially. They'll manage the worldwide relationship sales force for both corporations, and Microsoft has also agreed to pay them an acquisition fee equal to 88% of the search revenue generated by Yahoo sites over the first five years of the arrangement.

With this announcement, Microsoft's Bing is now officially a major competitor in the search engine arena. Theoretically, with Bing's market share added to Yahoo's, they now control nearly 30% of the market, leaving most of the remaining 70% to Google. We won't really have an idea of how large a chunk of the market Bing controls now until a month or two down the line, when things calm down and we get some accurate statistics.

What Microsoft needs to do now is push Bing as hard as they can over the next two months or so. If they can't show that they're stealing users from Google, or at least holding on to Yahoo users, they'll be in for a lot of trouble. Considering the losses Microsoft has already sustained this quarter, a disastrous showing in the face of such a formidable union could end up crippling the software giant for the foreseeable future.

Updates

Shopping Deals

 
 
 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/5" rel="author">Robert Evans</a>
The excitement about new smartphones, tablets and anything mobile drive Robert to unearth the latest rumors and developments in this fast moving space. He adopted 4G as soon as it become available and knows where the mobile market is going.
Robert can be contacted directly at robert@i4u.com.

 

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Taken 3 Trailer Released
Taken 3 Trailer Released
Liam Neeson is doing it again. I thought he is done with these kind of movies, but here comes the really last Taken movie. Watch the just released Taken 3 trailer. I looks awesome.
 
 
Michael Crabtree Downplays Deion Sanders' Report About Jim Harbaugh
Michael Crabtree Downplays Deion Sanders' Report About Jim Harbaugh
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree downplayed NFL Media analyst and Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders' report on Sept. 28 which says Crabtree's head coach, Jim Harbaugh, "really got some problems" in terms of his locker-room chemistry with the 49ers.
 
 
Pee-Wee Herman stars in New TV on the Radio Video
Pee-Wee Herman stars in New TV on the Radio Video
The awesome band TV on the Radio released their new music video for "Happy Idiot" on Funny or Die starring Pee-Wee Herman actor. Watch the cool and funny video below.
 
 
Dwight Howard Hurt by Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons Departures
Dwight Howard Hurt by Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons Departures
Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard told KHOU 11 Sports on Sept. 27 he was hurt by the departures of former teammates Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik.