Wonderful News, Everyone!
On December 3 news came out that Aron Embry, a North Texas man, had a Droid 2 detonate next to his face. In a bizarre twist, the phone continued to function after the accident. Embry claimed that the blast was responsible for a cut on his face that required four stitches.
Don't Miss: See the first leaked Black Friday 2016 Ad
As evidence for his claims, Embry presented lurid photos of a cracked Droid 2 covered in a spray of dried blood. Motorola responded that they planned to reach out to the wounded Mr. Embry and investigate the matter. Apparently, that investigation has drawn to a close. Gearlog reports that a Motorola employee described Embry's phone as "a phone that got dropped,".
Apparently, the owner didn't realize his screen had been cracked. He put it up to his ear and accidentally slashed himself. The source added,
"[T]he only things that could explode in a phone would have resulted in a phone that did not work, yet this phone worked. And there was no explosive damage to the device (things inside blown outward, etc)."
So those of you with Droid 2s can start using them again without fear of face-splosion. Whether Mr. Embry's claims of an explosion were invented or due to a legitimate misunderstanding is unclear. And don't expect Motorola to make an announcement either way. It's in their best interest to keep the word "explosion" as far away from any of their products as possible.
For reference, most real phone explosions and fires happen as a result the battery overheating. The manufacturing process to make Li-ion batteries leaves tiny metal chunks behind in the lithium-rich liquid centers. A lot of charging and discharging can push those shards through the separator between the anodes and cathodes.
Check your battery temperature regularly when charging. Don't charge on metal and keep your battery out of direct sunlight and extreme heat at all time. If your phone does explode, immediately send us the bloody pictures. Thanks!