Radar detectors can help you avoid tickets and be more aware when driving
If you drive a lot and they are legal in your state a radar detector can keep you from getting into trouble. Radar detectors are legal in my state and I am not the sort that speeds or races, but I often end up going faster than I thought I was and run up on a cop.
Don't Miss: Today's Electronics Bargains at Woot.com
There is nothing worse than the feeling you get when you pop over a hill doing 80mph in a 70mph zone without realizing you are even doing it only to find a cop at the bottom of the hill. Radar detectors for many people aren’t so they can go as fast as they want, but just to help them remember to check there speed when they hear the beep.
I can remember as a kid my dad had a radar detector and it beeping constantly. If you went by a store with automatic doors it beeped, it beeped so much you hardly knew when it was worth listening too and when to ignore it. The newer radar detectors on the market today are much different from that. They are more particular about when they go off and when they don’t.
They are also able to detect more radar bands including laser detectors. However, nothing will protect you from the instant on laser radar that many police agencies use today. When you are shopping for a radar detector there are gobs and gobs of them out there and they can get very expensive. Some of them will alert you to intersections with cameras or speed cameras using GPS and an integrated database. These are great for people that drive in unfamiliar areas a lot. I always seem to be the driver that gets in the spot in traffic where the light changes to yellow and I can't decide to hit the brakes hard or go on through the intersection. It would be nice to know if there were cameras there watching me.
Some of the radar detectors on the market will also show you if the radar is in front of you or behind you and some have a digital compass and color screens while others make due with lights and beepers. If the beeps drive you crazy, some have a voice sort of like a GPS uses too to make things more agreeable with you. Whatever you order just be sure that a radar detector is legal in your state and get one to suit your needs and your budget. Check out the list below for some of the coolest radar detectors around.
1. Whistler XTR-140 Laser/Radar Detector - This radar detector is one of the most popular mainly thanks to its low price of well under $80. It covers all laser bands, Radar, and VG-2 as well as safety bands. It has a twin alert periscope for visual attention and a large display that is easy to read. It also has a city mode switch and a band identification switch. It also uses VG-2 cloaking for undetectability.
2. Escort Passport 9500ix - Drivers that have the budget for a fully featured radar detector will want to check out the Passport 9500ix. Rather than getting a beep that tells you nothing about what is going on, this detector has a voice alert system and a high resolution screen. It has user selectable preferences and AutoLearn capability. It's not cheap at right under $500 but it is one of the better units on the market today.
3. Cobra XRS 9970G - This radar detector uses voice alerts and comes bundled with a GPS device that allows the user to now where speed cameras are as they drive. The price of the device at a bit under $200 includes the lifetime subscription to the Aura database. The device has a 1.5-inch color touchscreen and can detect all 15 radar and laser bands with fast lock on. It also has a compass and a car battery voltage display and more.
4. Cobra iRadar iRAD100 for iPhone and iPod touch - This is one of the more interesting radar detectors on the market today. The radar detection portion has no major display like some units you see on the market today. It interfaces via Bluetooth with your iPod touch or iPhone. It has a high performance radar detector inside that can recognize all radar and laser guns in use today. The app that runs on your iPhone or touch is a free download and will show you speedometer, compass, and alert history on the radar map view. It also has city modes and will log areas where it senses radar frequently as a speed trap. This detector sells for $129.
5. Valentine One - One of the more respected radar detectors on the market is the Valentine one. This is one of the few radar detectors that can show you the direction the radar is hitting you. It’s a good thing to know if the radar is in front, behind, or beside you. The Valentine One detects X, K, Ka, and Super Wideband Ka as well as laser protection. It has a rear radar antenna as well. You can but the Valentine One for about $500.
6. Escort Passport iQ - If you want a radar detector, but you also want GPS navigation the new Passport iQ combines the two into one device. The detector has a 5-inch widescreen LCD and full GPS mapping capability. The device has full radar and laser detection with speed camera locations and more. It uses NAVTEQ maps and will give you turn by turn driving directions and more. It will reject false alarms based on location and the strength of the signal. It also has a database with thousands of red light camera locations and speed camera locations .You can get the Passport iQ for $649.95.
7. Cobra XRS R10G - If you want a radar detector that you can hide a bit better the XRS R10G is an interesting unit This thing has a smaller radar detector that you can mount behind your mirror or in another out of the way place. It has a small LCD with the controls for the detector on it that runs off rechargeable batteries. The remote screen shows the warnings and allows you see the details of the hidden unit. The R10G sells for $249.99.
8. Escort Passport 9500ci - If you want the ultimate in hidden radar protection the 9500ci is the unit to look at. This thing is $1599 making it the most expensive radar detector on the list and it has to be custom installed. The detector has sensors that mount on the front and rear of your car and a remote control system and a small screen. The screen gives the warning from the system and the remote control allows the driver to control functions of the device. It promises protection from all radar and laser bands and has safety and speed camera locations programmed in.