Summer is here and that means that all around the country a lot of people are outside and having fun with their favorite activities. The best way to get film of you having fun with whatever it is you like to do is with a wearable camcorder. There are a number of offerings on the market that will attach to a helmet, hat or other surface.
These little cameras are generally small, compact, and rugged to some extend to survive the rough and tumble outdoors. Not all of them are water resistant and some have to be inside a housing to be impact resistant. No matter what you are a fan of be it car racing, surfing, or sky diving there is a camera that will be perfect for you.
Most of these camcorders lack an LCD. That means you won't be able to view what you recorded without a computer nearby. Most of them are also powered by rechargeable batteries. Some of the cameras will ship with lots of mounts and others come with the camera alone. So be sure you get the mounts you need for your application. Read on for my list of the top five wearable camcorders.
1. GoPro HD motorsports Hero - If you are into racing or any sort in a vehicle or on a motorcycle the GoPro is for you. This camera comes with all sorts of mounts, can connect to a helmet, and has a suction cup for mounting to a car. The suction cup is strong enough to keep the camera in place at high speeds and with lots of vibration. The camera is also waterproof when inside its little plastic case. This camera has so many mount options you will find the best for your needs. The camera sells for $299.99. This camera does 1080p HD resolution recording.
2. Veho Micro DV Muvi Camcorder - This tiny little wearable camcorder is offered with a mount kit that lets you wear it wherever. It had a lower resolution of 2MP but it needs no case to be rugged. The camera records to microSD cards and has a rechargeable battery inside. The camera alone costs about $60.
3. ContourHD Camcorder - This is a camcorder that is designed to be rugged without needing a case of any sort. The camera is larger than the GoPro and records 1080p HD resolution video. It has a 5MP image sensor and an internal microphone. The battery is removable and is good for up to four hours of recording. The body of the camera is aluminum and fiberglass and is water resistant. A number of mounts are available for putting the camera on whatever you want to mount to. Video is recorded to microSD cards. This version of the camera sells for about $250.
4. Midland XTC100VPS SD Extreme Action Camcorder - This is a very strange looking little camcorder that records in 640 x 480 resolution. It records to SD cards and includes helmet mounts and Velcro pads to mount the camera to other surfaces. It has a 140-degree wide-angle lens and a rechargeable battery inside. The camera sells for under $75.
5. Drift Innovation HD170 Stealth Action Camera - This is an interesting camera that has a remote button that can stop and start the recording. The camera has an LCD integrated, which is something none of the others on this list has. It can record 720p and 1080p video with a 170-degree wide-angle lens. It has a night mode and 4x digital zoom as well. It can also shoot 60fps for slow motion video. The remote is cool because it will allow you to turn the camera on if it is mounted in a place where you can't easily reach it. This camera sells for about $350.