These notebooks and netbooks aren't the same old same old
When you start to shop for a new notebook and you don’t want Windows, there are options that run other operating systems. The most common option is the Mac. Apple has been offering very nice notebook for years that runs Mac OS X. These machines are very popular and have high-end hardware, but they are also among the most expensive notebooks around.
If you want an alternative OS notebook or netbook that is cheaper than a Mac, you will be looking at Linux, Chrome, or perhaps Android machines. The only catch with these machines is that often the power isn't as good as a Windows or Mac offering and you will need to learn how to use the OS. The biggest downside to any alternate OS notebook is that the software you are probably used to running may not be available outside Windows or Mac environments. Check out my picks below for the five coolest alternative OS notebooks on the market.
1. MacBook Air - I think the coolest of the Mac notebooks that also happens to be one of the most reasonably priced is the 11.6-inch MacBook Air. This little machine has the Mac OS and a very thin and attractive profile. The notebook has a 1.4GHz processor, 128GB SSD, and 2GB of RAM. Graphics are handled by a GeForce 320M from NVIDIA. This might be one of the most expensive machines on the list at about $1,199, but it's one of the best too.
2. Dell Viper Ubuntu Linux Laptop - This is another of the most expensive machines on my list. If you want a notebook that urns Linux this is one of the more powerful options. The machine has 6GB of RAM, 640GB of storage, and a giant 17.3-inch screen. It uses an Intel Core i5 CPU at 2.53GHz. Storage is to a 640GB HDD and the big notebook has a Blu-ray player too. The OS is Ubuntu Linux.
3. Augen NBA7400A Genbook Netbook - This is one of the few Android netbooks on the market and it has a very strange looking screen with a thick bezel. The screen is 7-inches and it is crammed inside a 10-inch chassis to get a larger keyboard. It has a VIA8505 CPU at 400MHz. It has 128MB of RAM and 2GB of storage along with WiFi. The machine runs Android 1.6. The best part is the machine is under $140.
4. Acer AC700 Chromebook - This machine runs the Google Chrome operating system and has a vey nice price of $349. It has an 11.6-inch HD resolution screen, an Atom N570 CPU, and 16GB of storage. The battery promises 6-hours of use. Chrome hasn’t been around for that long so you will be among the first to have a netbook running this OS if you buy.
Don't Miss: The Best HDR TVs
5. Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook - This is another Chromebook that runs the Google Chrome operating system. The main difference between this one and the Acer one is this particular Samsung Series 5 Chromebook has 3G inside. It sells for $499.99 and has a 12.1-inch screen. In addition, it has a non-glare display. The computer can boot up and be ready to go in under ten seconds and the battery is good for 8-hours of use. It runs a dual-core Intel processor and has other nice features too.