In this article, we will look at the various generations of the iPhone and how the smartphone developed over the years.
The iPhone is Apple’s only smartphone line. It is the best-selling phone in many countries, thanks to Apple’s continuous innovations, revolutionizing the smartphone industry.
Don't Miss: This is How to Find a Nintendo Switch in Stock
- iPhone – On June 29th 2007, the original iPhone was released. Made of aluminum, glass, steel, and black plastic, the first generation iPhone came in two models: the 4GB and 8GB. In February of 2008, a 16GB model was released as well.
- iPhone 3G – Completely skipping the name “iPhone 2,” the iPhone 3G was released during the summer of 2008. It was named after the 3G cellular network capabilities the smartphone now boasted. The phone only came in 8GB and 16GB models, as the 4GB model of the first generation iPhone was too small.
- iPhone 3GS – The iPhone 3GS was released in June 2009 with iOS 3.0. The most expensive model doubled the storage capacity of the largest iPhone 3G: 32 gigabytes of storage.
- iPhone 4 – In 2010, the iPhone 4 joined the market. In addition to a LED flash for the back camera, the iPhone 4 featured a camera lens in the front to be used with FaceTime to make video calls. The new “Retina Display,” which refers to pixel densities so high that individual pixels cannot be identified by the human eye, made all the images crystal clear.
- iPhone 4S – The iPhone 4S was released in 2011. It came with iOS 5, an operating system designed with the iPhone 4S in mind. The smartphone also came with a new friend: Siri. Siri is an AI that serves as your own personal assistant, giving you a multitude of voice commands to control your phone.
- iPhone 5 – 2012 saw the release of the sixth generation iPhone model, the iPhone 5. The screen size was increased by half an inch to 4 inches. The iPhone 5 introduced speech to text conversion alongside the new iMessage, which provided unlimited text messaging to any other Apple device including iPad and iPod Touch.
- iPhone 5C – Released on September 20th 2013 with the iPhone 5S, the iPhone 5C was the less expensive model. It was designed to be a more affordable option as a mix between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5S in terms of hardware.
- iPhone 5S – The iPhone 5S was the more expensive twin sister of the iPhone 5C released on September 20, 2013. With a 64-bit processor and A7 chip, the iPhone 5S is faster than ever. The Touch ID fingerprint scanner changed the look and feel of the home button. Other smartphones have tried to introduce fingerprint technology with their phones, but Touch ID is actually integrated with the operating system. This allows app developers to experiment and create new ways to use your iPhone.