The Case Is Delayed Until August.
Justin Beiber's lawyers along with Florida prosecutors said on Wednesday they need to have more time to work on a possible plea deal between the two sides over charges that the 20-year-old singer drove under the influence and resisted arrest.
Don't Miss: Today's Electronics Bargains at Woot.com
Assistant State Attorney David Gilbert and Bieber attorney Mark Shapiro asked for an additional three weeks. Miami-Dade County Judge William Altfield reset the matter for Aug. 5.
Gilbert said at a brief hearing the two sides would inform Altfield on that date how the plea negotiations are progressing "and set a trial date, if necessary." He gave no other details, and Shapiro also would not get into specifics. Bieber did not attend the hearing.
"It's pretty much status quo," Shapiro said.
Bieber was arrested on the early morning hours of Jan. 23rd in Miami Beach -- in which a police report described Bieber was having an illegal street race between Bieber's rented Lamborghini and a Ferrari driven by a friend, R&B singer Khalil Amir Sharieff.
Neither was charged with drag racing.
Alcohol breath tests found Bieber's level below Florida's 0.02 limit for underage drivers but urine tests showed the presence of marijuana and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in his system. Bieber was also charged with resisting arrest and driving on an expired license. Sharieff is also charged with DUI.
Bieber did not attend Wednesday's hearing.
Earlier this month, Bieber was able to resolve another criminal case by pleading no contest to a misdemeanor vandalism charge for throwing eggs at a neighbor's house in Calabasas, Calif. In that case, Bieber agreed to pay more than $85,000 in damages and stay more than 100 yards away from the victims family.
Bieber is also charged in Toronto with assaulting a limo driver in late December. Bieber's lawyers have said he is not guilty in that case.
Back in Miami, Bieber is being sued by a photographer who says he was roughed up while snapping pictures of the singer outside a recording studio.
Los Angeles prosecutors decided in June not to pursue charges against Bieber for an incident in which a Los Angeles woman accused him of trying to take her cell phone.
The Florida prosecutors office did not release any statements saying what type of deal was trying to be worked out with Bieber's lawyer in order for the case to go forward.