The former "DWTS" Host Also Speaks About Her New Goals Moving Forward.
Brooke Burke-Charvet opened up in Septembers issue of SHAPE about her battle with cancer, along with her surprising exiting from ABC's "Dancing With The Stars."
Don't Miss: The best Deal on a new Samsung Galaxy S8
"It's crazy that not long ago I had cancer and now I'm cancer-free, and that might not be the case if I hadn't gone for a checkup," the former "Dancing with the Stars" co-host, 42, told the September issue of Shape. "Now I feel like I'm beginning the best part of my life."
Burke-Charvet found through a routine checkup that she had thyroid cancer. She had regularly been visiting her doctor for over a decade to treat Hashimoto's disease, the most common cause of hypothyroidism, and taking synthetic thyroid medicine every day for years.
"The condition wasn't even diagnosed by a thyroid doctor but during a regular checkup," Burke told the magazine. "They found a questionable lump. Then I got an ultra-sound and biopsies, and sure enough, it was cancer. But the prognosis was great."
"It's so important, when you get any alarming news, to do research, get a second opinion, and not panic," she added.
She went on to talk about her exit from "DWTS" that came on the beginning to the show's season premier; she “thought it was kind of outrageous, but after all, it was only a TV show.”
Burke-Charvet was let go over the phone while taking a caravan of children to school; while she said she wishes producers had “gone about it in a different way … that’s life, and that’s the industry.”
Since her thyroidectomy, Burke said she's been cancer free.
"They took it out, it's gone, and it's all good," she said.
Bruke also went on to mention that she had been avoiding direct contact with the sun after her surgery to cut down any further risk. She stated that she's still making adjustments to her thyroid medication.
"That was a little tricky, but that's one of the challenges with thyroid issues: figuring out the amount of Synthroid you need, getting your hormone levels right, and then making adjustments," she told Shape. "Having too much energy or not enough energy, and rolling through those changes - I'll continue to deal with that for a while."
Burke-Charvet also said she returned to her regular exercise routine a few weeks after surgery.
"I started working out the day I was allowed to. That's just me. I feel better after my workout for a million reasons," Burke said.
Burke-Charvet, who celebrates her 43rd birthday Sept. 8, said that “after learning that the changes were about the show needing a shake-up, I had to accept and have faith in that.”
She's engaged herself in new opportunities that include a possible TV show and Caelum, her new athletic-wear line.
“I’m committed to doing something more creative now,” she said. “Ultimately, leaving the ballroom may be the best choice I never made!”