Vitamin C Could Protect Your Eyes From Cataracts

Posted: Mar 26 2016, 7:24am CDT | by , in News | Latest Science News

Vitamin C Could Protect Your Eyes From Cataracts
Getty Images
  • Vitamin C could help to ward off Risk of Cataracts

Vitamin C could help to ward off the risk of contracting cataracts.

There is the firmly entrenched belief that vitamin C could be a panacea for the common cold. Yet, ascorbic acid which is the ingredient of vitamin C could help fight off cataracts as well.

Although just by taking a lot of vitamin C you cannot completely end a cataract, you can reduce its severity. A delay in the onset of the eye disease would also be possible. Most of the vitamin C ought to come from the daily diet.

The study was published in the journal Ophthalmology.

Cataracts appear as a consequence of senescence. They can be seen as a clouded layer of hazy material on the surface of the eyes. They are the main reason for blindness on a global level.

The study involves 1000 aged female twins. Their mean age was 60 years. Those who took large amounts of vitamin C slashed their chances of contracting a cataract by a third over a period of a decade.

This was a significant find. However, getting vitamin C through a supplement did not do the trick. The condition was that you had to obtain it mainly from your diet. This study portrays the importance of dietary and lifestyle factors in the prevention of cataracts.

While genes determine 35% of the chances of having a cataract in old age, diet accounts for the remaining 65%. Thus environment plays a big role in the onset of the disease.

By taking precautions and enjoying a good diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, one can remain free of the disease throughout one’s life. The “correlation does not prove causation” thesis remains extant here as well, so more research needs to be done.

Vitamin C is an antioxidant which means it cleans up all the free radicals which build up over time in the body. Besides this, the fluid in the eye is high in vitamin C.

Vitamin C prevents oxidation according to CBS. This novel effect of vitamin C is cause for excitement among scientists. It means that the vitamin has far more benefits than were thought of in the past.

Since cataracts are the leading causes of blindness in the global village, a cure for them is essential. A balanced diet that contains kale, broccoli, papaya, citrus fruits such as grapefruit, tangerines, oranges and lemons as well as strawberries may be the best strategy to avoid contracting a cataract in old age.

This story may contain affiliate links.


Find rare products online! Get the free Tracker App now.

Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Pomsies, Oculus Go, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News


The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/20" rel="author">Sumayah Aamir</a>
Sumayah Aamir (Google+) has deep experience in analyzing the latest trends.




comments powered by Disqus