Breaking: Trump Says US Companies Can Continue Working With Huawei

Posted: Jun 29 2019, 10:29am CDT | by , in Technology News

 

This story may contain affiliate links.

Breaking: Trump says US companies can continue working with Huawei
Photo by Huawei

The move is a sigh of relief for the Chinese tech company.

U.S. President Donald Trump said U.S. companies can continue selling their equipment to Huawei Technologies, reversing an executive order in May that restricted American companies from doing business with the Chinese tech giant.

Trump announced his decision at a press conference after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 Summit in Osaka.

Huawei has welcomed the announcement, describing the decision as a “U-turn” on Twitter.

The second day of the G20 Summit capped off with the U.S. president’s press conference, where he hinted at softening his stance on the company.

Trump said the U.S. sells “tremendous amount of product” to Huawei, adding, “That's okay, we will keep selling that product,” CNN reported.

At the press conference, Trump appeared to have backpedaled from the White House’s executive order on May 15, which prevented companies like Google, Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx, and Broadcom from supplying products to Huawei. This has caused some to cut ties with the company.

Five days after Trump’s executive order, the U.S. Department of Commerce granted a temporary reprieve to Huawei. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said at the time that the lifting of the ban “will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks.”

Despite the decision, Facebook has stopped letting Huawei pre-install its app and that of its affiliates Instagram and WhatsApp on new phones. Google, whose Android operating system is what Huawei phones run on, also warned that it could cut off its ties with Huawei. Earlier in June, Google has described the Huawei ban as a national security risk.

The impending ban, which was to be implemented in August, would have cost the company $30 billion in revenue. Despite the troubles it is facing, Huawei has come out with three new phones that are expected to go on sale in July.

Meanwhile, at the G20 Summit, Trump failed to address the situation involving Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou. “We did discuss Huawei but didn't discuss her situation,” Trump said.

Apart from the United States’ latest stance on Huawei, Trump also announced that the U.S. administration will no longer impose further tariffs on Chinese products.

“We won't be adding an additional tremendous amount of $350 billion dollars left which could be taxed or could be tariffed,” the president reportedly said.

“We're not doing that, we are going to work with China on where we left off to see if we can make a deal. China is going to be consulting with us and spending money even during the negotiations will, to our great farmers in the midwest and the great patriots — because that's what they are. China is going to be buying a tremendous amount of food and agricultural products and they're going to start their very soon and almost immediately.”

This story may contain affiliate links.

Loading...

Find rare products online! Get the free Tracker App now.


Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Pomsies, Oculus Go, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News

Comments

The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/81" rel="author">Mandy Jean</a>
Mandy covers the latest news in Tech and Business.

 

 

Advertisement

comments powered by Disqus