Walmart Says No Plans To Ban Violent Video Games After El Paso Shooting

Posted: Aug 10 2019, 1:12am CDT | by , in Technology News

 

This story may contain affiliate links.

Walmart says no plans to ban violent video games after El Paso shooting
Photo by Walmart

Shooter video games are still available at Walmart stores, the retailer confirmed.

Walmart is not planning to pull popular violent video game titles from its store shelves following the mass shooting at one of its stores in El Paso on August 3.

The retail giant told The Verge that the incident “does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment.”

Walmart’s statement dismissed reports by video game and entertainment website IGN, which earlier said that Walmart has handed down a memo to its store staff across the country, ordering an end to ads, signages and demos of violent video games.

IGN also pointed to a post by Twitter user Erik Tyler Louden, showing a nearly empty video game shelf.

In dismissing the report, Walmart told The Verge that it is only taking down signages, advertisements, and demos for some video games that appear to promote violence such as M-rated titles with firearms.

Walmart’s memo was shared on Twitter by user Kenneth Shepard. The retailer is ordering employees to “Turn off or unplug any video game display consoles that show a demo of violent games, specifically PlayStation and Xbox units.”

The news outlet also confirmed that one Walmart store in Berlin, Vermont, was still selling games like Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption II, and other titles featuring violence and firearms.

Meanwhile, following the incident in Texas, Walmart said it is “focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies.”

A total of 22 people were killed in the shooting incident, which also left about two dozen injured. The Associated Press said most of those who were fatally shot had Hispanic last names and eight were Mexican nationals.

The news agency said the suspect, 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, confessed to the police that he had been targeting Mexicans.

Crusius further told the police that he entered the Walmart store with an AK-47 assault rifle and multiple magazines.

The incident has strengthened calls for the government to revamp gun laws and accessibility in the country.

This story may contain affiliate links.

Loading...

Find rare products online! Get the free Tracker App now.


Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Pomsies, Oculus Go, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News

Comments

The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/81" rel="author">Mandy Jean</a>
Mandy covers the latest news in Tech and Business.

 

 

Advertisement

comments powered by Disqus