Nokia Offers To Purchase Symbian Ltd

Posted: Jun 25 2008, 8:48am CDT | by , Updated: Aug 11 2010, 9:01am CDT, in News | Mobile Phones

 
/* Story Top Left 2010 300x250, created 7/15/10 */ google_ad_slot = "8340327155";

Buy This Now On Amazon

Nokia is on a quest to maintain its worldwide dominance in cellular handset sales. Nokia is reported to hold about 40% of the worldwide handset market. One of the hottest segments of that market is smartphones.

The Symbian OS is the most popular smartphone operating system around with about 60% of that smartphone market. Currently Nokia owns a 48% share of Symbian Ltd and is looking to add the remaining 52% of Symbian to its portfolio.

Some other big names in the electronics industry own portions of Symbian Ltd including Sony Ericsson, Ericsson, Panasonic, Siemens, and Samsung. Nokia has offered to buy all remaining shares of Symbian Ltd in a deal valued at £208m. So far the only company that has not accepted Nokia’s offer is Samsung. Nokia says that it expects Samsung will accept as well. A Symbian Foundation will be formed and the previous owners of Symbian shares will be in the foundation and get royalty free access to the Symbian OS.

Via Computerweekly

Holiday Gift Guides and Deals

Get your Holiday gifting inspired by Best Toy Gifts with High STEM Value and the Top 10 toy gifts under $10 if you are on budget. The most popular Holiday 2017 toy list include Fingerlings, Crate Creatures and more. Don't miss the new Holiday deals on Amazon Devices, including $29.99 Fire tablet.

This story may contain affiliate links.

This free App Solves You Holiday Shopping Problem


Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Fingerling, Luvabella, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News

Comments

The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/3" rel="author">Shane McGlaun</a>
Tech and Car expert Shane McGlaun (Google) reports about what's new in these two sectors. His extensive experience in testing cars, computer hardware and consumer electronics enable him to effectively qualify new products and trends. If you want us review your product, please contact Shane.
Shane can be contacted directly at shane@i4u.com.

 

 

Advertisement

comments powered by Disqus