Nearly Half Of All Internet Users Watch TV Online

Posted: Feb 24 2010, 4:28pm CST | by , Updated: Aug 11 2010, 7:42pm CDT, in News | Notebooks and PCs

/* Story Top Left 2010 300x250, created 7/15/10 */ google_ad_slot = "8340327155";

Buy This Now On Amazon

A new study reveals that 44% of Internet users watch TV shows on a device other than a TV. The time spent watching on these non-traditional platforms is split evenly between computers and mobile devices.

Unsurprisingly, the strongest concentration of broadband-TV-watching occurs in the teenage market. 82% of people between the ages of 15 and 17 said they watched TV content on an online device. 48% said they watched on their mobile phone or other handheld.

The most popular content viewed online tends to be music videos, while educational and children's programming is at the bottom of the list.

However, according to the Horowitz Associates survey, the vast majority of time spent watching TV still occurs on a TV set. 96% of consumers' viewing time is on a set, while the remaining 4% was split evenly between computers and mobile devices.

"We anticipate that multiplatform TV viewing will continue to grow — especially among young people — as the technology improves towards a more authentic and convenient TV experience, and with programmers and aggregators actively promoting themselves on these platforms," said the research firm's marketing VP Adriana Waterston.

This story may contain affiliate links.


Find rare products online! Get the free Tracker App now.

Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Pomsies, Oculus Go, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News


The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/6" rel="author">Mark Raby</a>
Based in New York City, Mark follows the consumer electronics industry like a hawk. A published book author, he has a particular affinity for 3D technology and video games, and as such will surely be in the market for a new pair of glasses soon. Mark can be contacted directly at




comments powered by Disqus