Apple Confirms IPad 2, Retinal Display Looks Unlikely

Posted: Jan 19 2011, 11:29am CST | by , in Rumors | Apple

Apple Confirms iPad 2, Retinal Display Looks Unlikely
/* Story Top Left 2010 300x250, created 7/15/10 */ google_ad_slot = "8340327155";

We are up to 1 thrill per minute here, folks.

I love the smell of iPad rumors in the morning. It smells like...well, mostly like crap. About 80% of Apple product rumors are either wildly untrue or (like the iPad 2 cameras) so obvious as to not really count as a rumor. The remaining 20% usually aren't very interesting or revealing. Although (*cough* Gizmodo's illegally purchased iPhone 4 *cough*) that isn't always the case.

For the last few days we've heard rumor after rumor that the iPad 2 would pack a near-retinal display. It would show double the pixels of the last-edition iPad and also cost commensurately more.

But today, John Gruber of Daring Fireball has thrown some water on our fire. His sources within Apple claim that the iPad 2 will not have a retinal display. References to 2048x1536 resolution apps likely pertain to prototype versions of later iPads that only exist in some dank, locked room in Cupertino.

In addition, camera app images have been found in iOS 4.3b1- and they give the resolution as 1024x768.

There's still substantial debate over whether or not the iPad's display will improve, but it seems unlikely that we will see the pixels double. For one thing, it would require an enormous jump in RAM to make practical.

Apple has at least admitted that they are working on the iPad 2. COO Tim Cook also had a few harsh words for the bevy of 'wannabe' contenders announced at CES.

“The third batch, as in the ones announced at CES, nothing is shipping yet. They lack performance, timing and prices. Essentially they are vapour”.

Harsh words. And ones Tim can back up as long as Moto and RIM and the like hold off on making their final announcements.

This story may contain affiliate links.


Find rare products online! Get the free Tracker App now.

Download the free Tracker app now to get in-stock alerts on Pomsies, Oculus Go, SNES Classic and more.

Latest News


The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/5" rel="author">Robert Evans</a>
The excitement about new smartphones, tablets and anything mobile drive Robert to unearth the latest rumors and developments in this fast moving space. He adopted 4G as soon as it become available and knows where the mobile market is going.
Robert can be contacted directly at




comments powered by Disqus