Last thing we heard from Ugobe, was that their baby dino robot Pleo is delayed until Summer. Today I received an email from Trossen Robotics saying that they started to take pre-orders for Pleo.
Update: Just received another email from Trossen, that they actually jumped the gun and Ugobe did not authorize the pre-order start for the Pleo. I already was suspicious, why Trossen Robotics would be able to offer it and no other retailer.
Here is a statement from Ugobe about the situation:
"My name is Julie Crabill and I work with UGOBE on the PR front. UGOBE has not officially begun any pre-orders for Pleo. The Trossen Robotics pre-order page was put up in response to unsanctioned communication from one of our partners. The page is in the process of being removed however there is likelihood that other sites may follow suit and you can be sure that we will ask for a similar response, ie. the removal of any pre-sell information. UGOBE has not confirmed retail channel partners, the official date we will begin taking pre-orders or the official date Pleo will ship. Once we have this information, we will share it openly with consumers, media and bloggers alike and issue press releases accordingly. Sorry for any confusion on this. Sit tight, Pleo is on the way this summer!"
Ugobe Pleo Technical Specification:
- 32 bit Atmel ARM 7 microprocessor - The main processor for Pleo
- 16 bit sub processor - The processor dedicated to the camera system
- (4) 8 bit processors that provide the low-level motor control for the servos
- (35) Sensors including a camera custom designed to fit into Pleo's very compact body.
- (4) foot-switches to detect footfalls and being picked up - assists with spatial orientation.
- (12) capacitive touch sensors (4) legs, (4) feet, back, shoulder, head, chin
- (2) microphones for directional sound detection
- (14) "Force" sensors, one per servo, to recognize abuse through force feedback joints.
- Orientation/tilt sensor
- IR transceiver for bidirectional data communication with other Pleos.
- IR interrupter for detection of objects in Pleo's mouth
- (14) motors. Standard low voltage DC motors
- (150) gears and clutches
- Rechargeable NiMH battery pack
- USB port with mini USB connector
- SD/MMC memory card slot