In the first case a Chinese woman named Ma Ailun was electrocuted while she was recharging her iPhone 5. The second involved a man who went into a coma after receiving a jolt from his charger. The Chinese are up in arms against Apple for its products being hazardous to humans. Apple Incorporated meanwhile has used its online clout to let consumers know that they must use the genuine Apple power adapters instead of fake versions. The company’s power chargers along with their respective cables were displayed clearly on Apple’s newly added page on its website for the Chinese market. Particular care has been taken to point out the signs whereby a real and patent product can be differentiated from a counterfeit.
According to TNW, Apple states on the top of its newly added advisory page that "Apple always puts the user’s safety first, so all of our products are subject to stringent safety and reliability testing." The Cupertino also advises its customers that "When you charge your iPhone or iPad, we suggest that you use all USB power adapters with correspondingly-labeled USB cables. These adapters and cables can be purchased as individual items from Apple and authorized Apple retailers."
After Ma Ailun’s death, Apple apologized to her family and offered deepest condolences over the sad demise of the 23 year old lady. Apple has further made a gentleman’s promise of cooperating with the Chinese authorities regarding this unfortunate incident. The administration at Apple is definitely contrite at the tragedy. The fact that Ma Ailun had been utilizing a fake charger at the time of her death however changes the equation. The companies which make carbon copies of the real stuff are just as much responsible for this sorrowful mishap. They must be brought to justice. Till then the only safety measure to follow is to use genuine chargers and shun the cheap ditto copies found in the market.