The new year of 2014 is just 5 days away from us. We will go into this year with lots of good and bad memories of this year. If we talk about tech world, it is growing rapidly. Every year, thousands of new technological devices introduced. These include very famous smartphones, tablets, laptops, printers and much more. Many tech sites predict about 2014. We will take here a closer look of these predictions.
International Data Corporation (IDC) predicts that 2014 will be a year of escalation, consolidation, and innovation as the transition to IT's "3rd Platform" accelerates. Basically the IDC's top 10 predictions of 2014 were heavily influenced by the 3rd Platform. What is 3rd Platform? The tech industry's emerging platform for growth and innovation built on the technology pillars of mobile computing, cloud services, big data and analytics, and social networking is called the 3rd Platform.
"The 3rd Platform's impact was felt throughout the ICT industry in 2013 as a high-profile CEO lost his job, a major IT player went private, numerous vendors endured cash cow stagnation, and billion-dollar bets were placed on 3rd Platform technologies," said Frank Gens, Senior Vice President and Chief Analyst at IDC. "In 2014, we'll see every major player make big investments to scale up cloud, mobile, and big data capabilities, and fiercely battle for the hearts and minds of the developers who will create the solutions driving the next two decades of IT spending. Outside the IT industry, 3rd Platform technologies will play a leading role in the disruption (or "Amazoning") of almost every other industry on the planet."
IDC predicts that
- The worldwide IT spending will grow 5% year over year to $2.1 trillion in 2014.
- The emerging markets will return to double-digit growth of 10%, driving nearly $740 billion or 35% of worldwide IT revenues and, for the first time, more than 60% of worldwide IT spending growth.
- The value will start to migrate "up the stack" within the 3rd Platform.
- The mobile device will continue to grow in 2014 with sales of tablets growing by 18% and smartphones by 12%. And Android devices will continue leading Apple devices while Samsung will remain the leader of these Android devices.
- The number of cloud datacenters will see a dramatic increase. And the spending on cloud services and the technology to enable cloud services will surge by 25% in 2014. Cloud spending will reach over $100 billion in 2014.
- Datacenters represent the physical foundation underneath the cloud, and are thus a crucial component of the 3rd Platform.
- IT industry will spending on big data technologies and services that will grow by 30% in 2014. This spending will surpass $14 billion figure next year.
- Within next 12-18 months, social technologies will become increasingly integrated into existing enterprise applications.
- The 3rd Platform will deliver the next generation of competitive advantage apps and services that will significantly disrupt market leaders in virtually every industry.
- Finally, the 3rd Platform will continue to expand beyond smartphones, tablets, and PCs in 2014 to the Internet of Things (IoT).
The above are the top 10 IT predictions by IDC. However, CNet, a big name in tech websites, also predict about the future of Amazon. CNet states that Amazon will have eye-popping surprises in 2014. The most rumored Amazon smartphone can be launched. Amazon is also rumored to launch its own TV set-top box in 2014 that would stream Internet media. Amazon Kindle will become a school tutor and Amazon Prime service will go mainstream as more expansion plans are there for 2014.
Forbes 2014 predictions are about the VC firms that are expected to raise more money in 2014 than 2007. “Over 200 VC firms will go to market next year, including some of the biggest names in the business and with the recent flurry of high value exits, they will receive a much more welcome reception from institutional investors than any time in the last seven years,” says Holland. “Firms with strong brands that have demonstrated consistent stable returns for the last fifteen years should be able to raise (a) large or larger funds in 2014, and (b) easily or more easily.” He also said that Blackberry will decompose faster in 2014 than anyone currently predicting. And finally the Bitcoin will emerge as a commodity not currency.