The Japanese mobile phone operator NTT DoCoMo has suddenly shelved their indefinitely plans for a March launch of a smart phone featuring a brand new operating system called Tizen, which is currently dealing a blow to one of the platform's key backers—the Samsung Electronics Co.
Japan's biggest mobile carrier has said last Friday that the smart phone market in Japan is not growing fast enough for it to support any third mobile operating system, a reference to the Apple Inc.'s iOS operating system and the Google Inc.'s Android, which powers the majority of Korean tech. giant Samsung's devices.
Don't Miss: Best Gadgets of 2017
In explaining its decision, Docomo has cited research by the IDC Japan that showed the country's overall smart phone market had grown only about 2.2% in the April to September period from a year earlier than that. The Docomo spokesman, named So Hiroki, had said on Friday that the market is not big enough now to support three operating systems at this time.
For the Samsung Inc., one of Tizen's key backers, the Docomo's latest announcement is a setback. The famous South Korean tech giant runs the Android OS on nearly all of their smart phones, an arrangement that has so far benefited both the Samsung Inc. and the Google. But as the Chinese companies are introducing increasingly attractive devices that also run on the Android OS and the Google Inc. launches its own Android smart phones too, Samsung has now been eager to launch a whole new platform of its own where it can control the relationships with the app developers, as well as with the streams of revenue that the app sales generate. Some other backers of the Tizen OS include the Intel Corp., France's operator, Orange SA, and the U.K.'s Vodafone Group PLC.