Menu

Daily News for the Geek Mind

Officers in LAPD manhunt mishap violated policy, says board

Feb 5 2014, 1:52am CST | by , in News | Other Stuff

Officers in LAPD manhunt mishap violated policy, says board
Getty Images

The eight officers involved in the accidental shooting of two women in Los Angeles last year were found to be guilty of violating policy.

Almost a year after the manhunt mishap that led to the shooting of two women in Los Angeles, the civilian oversight board finally declared on Tuesday that the officers involved violated policy.

Eight LAPD officers who were not identified will be subjected to face disciplinary measures that could include retraining, suspensions, and even firings. Police Chief Charlie Beck recommended that the shooting be ruled out of policy. Beck is expected to decide on the corresponding disciplinary measures for the officers.

In February 7 last year, Los Angeles police guarding a house of a targetted LAPD captain were informed that a pick-up truck of the cop-turned-killer Christopher Dorner was in the neighborhood.

At around 5 in the morning, a blue pick-up truck emeged. Officers immediatedly fired a foray of shots at the truck - 103 rounds all in all. Other bullets hit the homes of nearby houses.

The truck did not belong to Dorner.

Police officers later realized that the truck was a different model. Inside were 71-year old Emma Hernandez and 47-year old Margie Carranza. Margie suffered minor injuries while her mother was shot twice in the back. They later agreed to a $4.2-million settlement with the city.

"This was a tragic cascade of circumstances that led to an inaccurate conclusion by the officers," Beck told the New York Times

Now Watch

Share this Story

Follow Us
Follow I4U News on Twitter
Follow I4U News on Facebook

You Might Also Like

From the Web

Read the Latest from I4U News

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus