Menu
 
 
 

Student Died After Eating Pot Cookie

Posted: Apr 3 2014, 5:03pm CDT | by , in News | Other Stuff

 

Student Died After Eating Pot Cookie
Wikapedia
/* Story Top Left 2010 300x250, created 7/15/10 */ google_ad_slot = "8340327155";
 

He fell to his death

A Wyoming college student visiting Denver on spring break jumped to his death after eating a marijuana cookie that his friend legally purchased in one of Colorado's recreational pot shops, authorities said Wednesday.

An autopsy report lists marijuana intoxication as a "significant contributing factor" in the death of 19-year-old Levy Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo who fell from a motel balcony on March 11.

It marked the first time the Denver medical examiner's office has listed a marijuana edible as a contributor to a death, said Michelle Weiss-Samaras, a spokeswoman for the office.

"We have not had that," she said.

Investigators believe Pongi and his friends came to Colorado to try marijuana. The friends told investigators that Pongi ate the cookie and "exhibited hostile behavior" that included pulling things off walls and speaking erratically, the autopsy report said.

Attempts by the three friends to calm Pongi seemed to work until he went outside and jumped over the balcony railing, according to the report.

Denver police ruled the death an accident but said their investigation remains open.

Colorado law bans the sale of recreational marijuana products to people under 21. It is also illegal for those under 21 to possess marijuana, and adults can be charged with a felony for giving it to someone under the legal age.

Authorities said one of Pongi's friends was old enough to buy the cookie from a pot shop. It was unclear whether the friend might face charges.

The medical examiner's office had Pongi's body tested for at least 250 different substances, including bath salts and synthetic marijuana, which are known to cause strange behavior. His blood tested positive only for THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, according to the report.

One of Pongi's friends also tried the cookie but stopped after feeling sick, ABC News reports.

You May Like

Vote Now

The Author

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/4" rel="author">Susan McGlaun</a>
Susan is the editor of the shopping guide on I4U News. She is finding for our readers the best deals and the most interesting products to buy. She lives for finding a great deal that can save our readers serious money. For every season Susan is reporting about the best gift ideas including Back-to-School and of course the Holidays.
Susan can be contacted directly at susan@i4u.com.

 

 

Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Share this Story

Follow Us
Follow I4U News on Twitter
Follow I4U News on Facebook

Read the Latest from I4U News