Without the barrier of the iOS, possibilities are endless with the new ability to have apps and games not usually compatible with an Apple phone. The downside to jail breaking is that upon removing yourself from the constraints of the iOS system, you then also remove yourself from all the pre-installed security measures that Apple has put in place through the iOS.
Pros and Cons of Jail Breaking
- You are no longer restricted to Apple approved apps. You now allow your smartphone to download and install apps that may not have been compatible with iOS under regular circumstances. (Through https://cydia.saurik.com/)The down side to this is that it makes your phone more susceptible to viruses or bugs when downloading new apps.
- Making your smartphone an internet connection device so your laptop can connect to the internet from its signal. Usually, the ability to do this will come at a price. But with a jail broken phone, it becomes free.
- There is an installation called Cydia that gives your jail broken iPhone access to a multitude of free customizable features such as changing the icons images, background, and even sounds. These are all themes, graphics, and sounds that would not be available on a non-jail broken iOS.
- SSH (secure shell) installation becomes available to jail broken iPhones, making computer access substantially simpler. You could easily use your iPhone to connect to your PC and move or adjust files and such. The downside to this is that SSH has proven controversial in recent times for its ability to connect to a PC even if the user is away, and vice versa. Meaning a person could also connect to your phone with the PC providing you are not in front of the PC and easily hack it.
- With a jailbroken phone, you are free to use whatever network you want. With the usual iOS designs, phones are restricted to the carrier of which you bought the model from, but with a jail broken phone you can switch SIM cards easily and still gain full phone functionality.
- Malware usually cannot penetrate the iOS barrier of the iPhone; one of the reasons Apple is known for its strong anti-virus features. With a jail broken phone, and an altered iOS, the walls built by Apples anti-virus system are broken down making the entrance for malware wide and easily accessible.
- Security becomes compromised with a jail broken phone and there is no way of knowing exactly how secure (or unsecure) your device is. Of course, since you are no longer connected with Apple’s app store, you could also easily download an anti-virus application.
There is no turning back from jail breaking, and as many features it may have, it also has its down side. If this is something you are thinking about, take everything into consideration before deciding on anything.