Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino has withdrawn from the concussion-related lawsuit which 4,800 other former players filed against the NFL.
Dan Marino is withdrawing from the concussion-related lawsuit filed by thousands of other former NFL players.
Don't Miss: See the first leaked Black Friday 2016 Ad
Dave Hyde of The South Florida Sun Sentinel first broke the news on June 3:
"Dan Marino, the legendary Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame quarterback, intends to withdraw from a lawsuit against the NFL for concussions.
"The Los Angeles Times reported on Monday that the former quarterback joined 14 other players to sue the league.
"'Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,' Marino said. 'In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL.'
"'I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims of this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately.'
"'I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries. I also disclaim any references in the form complaint of current head injuries.'
"Marino, 52, has said in the past he had two reported concussions during his 17-year-career."
The Miami Herald's Armando Salgeuro added more pertinent details.
"It should be noted this twist comes amid a backlash on social media and elsewhere that questioned Marino's motives and timing for filing the suit.
"The filing happened only three months after Marino was fired by CBS Sports, which is a broadcast partner with the NFL.
"Other high-profile former quarterbacks such as Troy Aikman, Steve Young and Boomer Esiason have declined to join the thousands of plaintiffs in any concussion suit against the NFL while they have continued to work with various NFL broadcast partners.
"The idea that Marino would initially be part of this suit also raised questions about his potential for joining the Dolphins in some future front-office capacity.
"Though a Dolphins source said no such obstacle existed as a result of the suit and an NFL spokesman dismissed the idea the league would dissuade the Dolphins from hiring Marino while he was in litigation against the league, Marino stepping away from the suit offers a clearer avenue for him to some day rejoin the team.
"Marino, 52, has been in talks with the team about a role in Miami dating to 2013. He met with owner Stephen Ross as recently as April to discuss a position with the club. The sides have not agreed what such a role would entail and though Marino remains part of the 'Dolphins family' there is no certainty he will definitely land a job with the team any time soon."
As far as Marino's concussions are concerned, the one that stands out was sustained in Sept. 1992 against the Seattle Seahawks, per Salguero.
Marino sat out for one pass play in the fourth quarter after he was 'knocked dizzy' by one of the Seahawks defenders. He eventually took the field again and threw the game-winning touchdown to Fred Banks, although he would not remember having thrown it later on, The Miami Herald report goes on to say.
Dolphins equipment manager Bobby Monica, who worked for the team from 1980-1993, spoke with Salguero about the game. Monica also says Marino is one of the toughest guys ever to have played in the NFL.
"He couldn't even remember who won the game.
"I remember when we got on the plane I used to sit with him on the plane. So I turn to him and tell him, 'You got that $500?' He looked at me and asked me what I was talking about. I told him,'I lent you $500 last week.' And he said,'Oh yeah, yeah.'
"The trainer would come in and ask,'You OK?' And he'd say,'Yeah, I'm all right.' He was one of the toughest guys in the league. People don't realize. He was one of the toughest guys ever."
As far as the lawsuit is concerend, the league reached a $765 million settlement with the plaintiffs in Aug. 2013. However, a federal judge rejected it five months ago, per ESPN.
Marino spent his entire 17-year NFL career from 1983-1999 in Miami. He threw for 61,361 yards, 420 touchdowns and 252 interceptions on an 86.4 percent quarterback rating, per Pro-Football-Reference.com.
He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2005.
For more of the hottest sports news, log on to Sport Balla today.
Don't Miss: Nintendo Switch: Everything You Need To Know