Finally, Instagram is giving more photo-editing powers to its users.
Instagram users will be happy to hear that their favorite photo/ video-sharing app has just been updated with nifty creative tools. Instagram CEO and co-founder Kevin Systrom thinks that it is now time to ditch other camera and photo-editing apps.
Instagram version 6.0, which rolls out today, includes a wide list of photo-editing tools.
In an interview with TechCrunch, Systrom says that there is a need for more advanced tools to let people be more creative on top of their photos.
“I wish there were apps that are free and do this well but they’re either expensive, or $1.99 and not that great. Now instead of using multiple apps to get your photos looking the way you want, you can just come to Instagram,” he added.
To access the tools, just tap the new wrench icon. The new tools are:
- Brightness - makes your photo brighter or darker.
- Contrast - makes the bright areas of your photo brighter and the dark areas darker.
- Warmth - shifts the colors of your photo towards warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Saturation - increases or decreases the color intensity of the image (ex: adjust up to make the red redder).
- Highlights - adjusts the focus on the bright areas of the image.
- Shadows - adjusts the focus on the dark areas of the image.
- Vignette - darkens the edges of the photo. Adding a vignette can direct the attention away from the edges towards the center of the photo.
- Sharpen - adds crispness to your photo and make the photo appear clearer.
The team also managed to improve existing tools including Straighten, Crop, Border, Lux, Rotate, and Blur/Tilt Shift. The update also improves video uploads on iOS.