An appearance on Wednesday's Conan O'Brien Show had Martin Lawrence confirming Bad Boys 3. Now the question is: will it actually happen after 6 years of talk?
Bad Boys 3 is a go.
O'Brien asked the 49-year-old actor if there was a chance for a third installment in a series about a couple of friends turned unorthodox police partners.
Enthusiastically, Lawrence seemed convinced of a possibility. "I believe so. Yes. I just talked to Jerry Bruckheimer." That's good new for fans of the original Bad Boys, which came out in 1995. "He said it's real, they're working on a script, they're close and it all looks good."
Hopefully Union'll return since she plays a headstrong woman dating Lowrey, and it's always fun to see the duo arguing over domestic concerns.
And Syd was a perfect combination of both characters (headstrong, capable, intelligent, fearless) but added more by being vulnerable in the middle of strength. Union worked.
It's hard to believe if the movie is finished next year, it'll mark the 20th anniversary of the original. In the first, Téa Leoni starred as a skittish witness who wanted revenge for the death of her roommate, Lowrey's romantic interest.
But Lawrence looks like he could handle the action now. "I'm just working out, exercising every now and then ... and just eating right."
But is Will Smith returning? (Of course, how do you have a Bad Boys with one-half the duo?)
Well, there's no confirmation but Variety notes that Lawrence made sure to use the name when Conan asked for a cameo. "I will mention to Will Smith and Jerry Bruckheimer that Conan wants a cameo in the movie."
Rumors first began circulating last September when producer Jerry Bruckheimer let it slip that he was working on a script. And Lawrence called out Smith in July on Twitter, saying as the 11th anniversary, a third felt right.
Slash Film reports that in an April interview Bruckheimer blamed the delay of production on bad timing. "It’s just trying to get everybody together to make it. But, we’re working on the script. We have a lot of faith and hope that we’ll do it."
Michael Bay previously had no interest since he was busy helming the wildly successful Transformers franchise, Will Smith has been filming movies whenever interest peaked, and then it took Ice Cube's Ride Along to really reinvigorate Sony.
Fans have been clamoring for a third film for awhile.
In 2008, Smith said that an idea was cooking in the brain but expenses were a problem. He jokingly said, "Michael (Bay) is too expensive now. He’s way too expensive." By then, Transformers had already jumped into the Hollywood sphere in 2007 and he'd made pretty good bank in producing films like The Hitcher.
The first two Bad Boys made a decent amount (a combined $204.4 million) but stars have exploded since then. Smith and Bay alone shot into the A-list, and that isn't cheap to afford anymore. Never mind Bruckheimer.
Does the world need Bad Boys 3? Maybe, maybe not. But the sleek cars, explosions, and comedic timing of the duo offer a lot of fun. And who doesn't like a killer car chase in a summer film?