The Academy has started its search for new producers as the previous producers will not be returning in 2016. Craig Zadan & Neil Meron will not be producing the Oscars from now on.
It has finally been announced that the previous producers of the Oscars, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will not be returning in 2016. Even though Zadan had hinted that he would be leaving in his tweet shortly after this year’s Oscars. But the representatives for the Academy and the producers maintained that nothing had been decided.
Don't Miss: See the first leaked Black Friday 2016 Ad
Zadan in his latest tweet stated that he was honored to be a part of the show for three years and these three years were amazing. He also stated that he is happy to move on and thanked Academy for the opportunity given to him.
Honored we had 3 yr prod deal. 3 yrs stress & fun. Thrilled we were asked, happy to be moving on w/ lots of great friends. Thank you Acad.— Craig Zadan (@craigzadan) March 26, 2015
The Academy’s Board of Governors met this last Tuesday night for the first time since the Oscar night. The major topic that was discussed in the meeting was whether to retain the producers or not.
Now nearly everyone is thinking that the show needed fresh eyes as three years is a long time to run the show and it is the longest consecutive run since Gil Cates did 16 years ago. Moreover Zadan and Meron have been thinking of whether to return to the show again or not.
Meron explained to Deadline that even before these Oscars he and Zadan had talked to President Cheryl and CEO Dawn Hudson about leaving. He said that the past few years running the show have been amazing. However Meron stated that because of their involvement with the Oscars they have put a lot of other projects on hold and now it is time that they are finished.
Apart from what Meron stated as the reason for leaving Zadan pointed out that he and Meron were at the end of their agreements. Zadan stated that what people do not know is that we had signed only a three year contract with the Academy and it was never revealed to anyone.
He said that the Academy wanted to sign for more than one year as the Academy thought working with people for several years in a row seems like a better idea. Plus Zadan also revealed that he and Meron have signed a three year deal again but with Shubert Organization in order to develop Broadway shows along with another three year contract with NBC Universal Television to do series.
Back into TV shows & feature films now. And actually working on next year's live musical for NBC. Things seem to be happening so fast.— Craig Zadan (@craigzadan) March 15, 2015
Apart from these 2 deals the pair also has a three year deal with Sony for TV movies and miniseries are in the process of developing feature films. One of their feature films includes a movie musical version of the Pippin for the Weinstein Company which is moving along the script stages right now.
Don't Miss: Nintendo Switch: Everything You Need To Know
So it is now final that the amazing duo that has been producing the Oscars for three consecutive years will be leaving. That is why the Academy is now in search of new producers for the 88th Annual Academy Awards in 2016.