Free-agent NBA center Matt Bonner told The Concord Monitor on July 5 he's blaming his tennis elbow injury on his non-shooting arm on the new iPhone.
Here's one for the record books: Matt Bonner is blaming his tennis elbow injury on the new iPhone.
Don't Miss: Nintendo Switch: Everything You Need To Know
Bonner told The Concord Monitor'sTim O'Sullivan last week the iPhone 6 was the main reason why he developed the injury, causing him to shoot just 32.4 percent from the field over a two-and-a-half month period from Dec. 2014 to the All-Star break:
"You're about to get an exclusive here. I hate to make excuses, I was raised to never make excuses, but I went through a two-and-a-half month stretch where I had really bad tennis elbow, and during that stretch it made it so painful for me to shoot I'd almost be cringing before I even caught the ball like, 'Oh, this is going to kill.'
"I really don't want to say that's why my percentage dipped, but I'm not too worried about it. I know I can still shoot.
"Everybody is going to find this hilarious, but here's my theory on how I got it. When the new iPhone came out it was way bigger than the last one, and I think because I got that new phone it was a strain to use it, you have to stretch further to hit the buttons, and I honestly think that's how I ended up developing it."
O'Sullivan says Bonner shot 42.8 percent before he went on his slump.
After Bonner consulted with one of the San Antonio Spurs' strength and conditioning coaches, he got word he sustained a similar injury because he played too much on his iPhone, per The Concord Monitor.
O'Sullivan caught up with Bonner at a basketball camp at Rundlett Middle School in Concord, NH, which he and his brother Luke have been organizing for the past 13 years.
Bonner, who's currently a free agent, also told O'Sullivan he wants to return to the San Antonio Spurs. Bonner has spent the last nine seasons with the organization.
The Spurs won their fifth NBA title in 2014 but fell in the first round of the playoffs this year on a last-second shot by Chris Paul in Game 7 last April, per The Concord Monitor:
"I'm hoping to be back with the Spurs. I've been there nine years. I love playing for that organization, my teammates, the coaches and staff, the fans and everybody there.
"I prefer not to uproot my family and my life. But if someone came along and offered me a giant contract, maybe I'd consider it, but who knows if that's going to happen. And if for some reason (the Spurs) wouldn't take me back, then I'd have to go to Plan B and find another team to play for.
"it was tough losing like we did in the first round, coming down to the buzzer like it did in Game 7 and then having to watch the rest of the playoffs at home.
"But I've been trying to take advantage of the extra time off, trying to spend more time with family and work out more so I'm in even better shape and ready to go next year."
Bonner told The Concord Monitor it "would be awesome" if he winds up playing for the Boston Celtics, the team he grew up following.
In another development, free-agent power forward David West agreed to sign with the Spurs for the league's veteran minimum of $1.4 million on July 6, per MySanAntonio.com's Mike Monroe.
The 35-year-old West opted out of his $12.6 million deal with the Indiana Pacers last month as he insisted he's determined to sign with a title contender, per Monroe.
West spent his first eight NBA seasons with the then-New Orleans Hornets before playing for the Pacers for four seasons.
San Antonio now has four veteran big men who can help them win a sixth NBA crown: West, Tim Duncan, Boris Diaw and LaMarcus Aldridge, per MySanAntonio.com.
Don't Miss: See the first leaked Black Friday 2016 Ad
Aldridge, a highly sought-after unrestricted free agent power forward, decided to commit to the Spurs on July 4. Yahoo! Sports Adrian Wojnarowski (via MySanAntonio.com's Dan McCarney) reported on Saturday Aldridge will sign a four-year, $80 million deal to play in his home state of Texas.