Microsoft is releasing today a system update (Spring 2010 Dash Update) for the Xbox 360 over Xbox LIVE enabling USB memory storage support.
Microsoft's Major Nelson reports that the Xbox 360 update is mandatory and comes in the next few hours.
With the USB storage support you can take your game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, or Arcade game downloads with you.
Microsoft partnered with Sandisk for an Xbox 360 USB Flash Drive that is pre-configured for the Xbox.
The pre-configured Xbox 360 8GB/16GB USB Flash Drive by SanDisk comes with a one-month LIVE Gold membership. The Xbox drive is supposed to ship in May.
Of course you can use other USB drives as well. They need to have between 1GB and 16GB capacity. To use USB storage on your Xbox 360, you'll need to configure it first. Plug it in and go to System Settings, Memory, then select your device to start setting it up. Find more details in this knowledge base article.
The 16GB Sandisk Xbox 360 USB Drive is available for pre-order on Amazon for $69.99 and the 8GB Xbox 360 USB Drive has a price-tag of $34.99 on Amazon.
Xbox 360 USB Flash Drive Feature Summary:
Don't Miss: Sam's Club Black Friday 2016 Details
Don't Miss: Incredible Pokemon Gifts
- Carry your game and take your profile anywhere you play
- Hassle-free "plug and play" installation
- Includes 1 month Xbox LIVE Gold membership subscription
- Download and store map packs, games, avatars and video
- Download includes Xbox 360 update software
- Microsoft Xbox 360 system performance approved
- Preconfigured for "plug and play" with Xbox 360 system
- 1 month Xbox Live Gold membership subscription
- Drive includes Xbox 360 update software
- Licensed for Xbox 360