Amazon published (Via Slashgear and The Digital Reader) the details of the next Kindle firmware update. Kindle Software Update 2.5 will bring collections, pdf pan and zoom, password protection, more fonts, popular highlights and social network integration with Twitter and Facebook support (Detailed function description below).
The Kindle 2.5 software is coming soon to select users and full rollout will happen in late May.
More details about the new Kindle Features:
- Collections: Organize your books and documents into one or more collections.
- PDF Pan and Zoom: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily
- Password Protection: Password protect your Kindle when you're not using it.
- More Fonts & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.
- Facebook & Twitter Posts: Share book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.
- Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.
How Twitter and Facebook will work on Kindle:
To share from your Kindle to Twitter and Facebook you have to link theses accounts to your Amazon account. There will be a new setttings menu to manage your social networks on Kindle.
You can then highlight a book passage and add a comment. Once sent to Twitter or Facebook your friends can read your comment and the selected text from the book will displayced on a linked webpage.
I have not seen this "snippet webpage", but I assume Amazon will have a Buy button there as well to purchase the referenced book.
More details on Amazon.