I bet you watched these as a kid too
Anyone that grew up in the 80's will have fond memories of some of the geeky flicks that we saw as kids. Those movies are coming back around today now that many kids of the 80's have kids of their own. I took my son to see Tron: Legacy a few months back and realized that my dad had taken me to see the original Tron when I was the exact age as my son.
Don't Miss: Hottest CES 2017 Announcements
Never in a million years would I have though it would take decades for a follow-up to that film. I was always into quirky films that weren’t always mainstream as a kid and if it was sci-fi that was all the better. Sci-Fi flicks and slapstick were among my favorites growing up. The 80's was a cool time to be a kid, other than parachute pants and those jackets with all the zippers.
If you grew up in the 80's like I did and have kids of your own you want to share some of your favorite flicks of your youth with them. I bet you will have some good memories of a bunch of the films on my list of the geekiest films from the 80's.
1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Of all the comedy films I have ever seen this was my all time favorite as a kid. We had the first ever pay TV channel at my house growing up called Vue and it had one movie they showed every night at 7pm and for a month straight it was this flick. My mom finally made me stop watching it after I spoke with an English accent for a week straight and told my dad he smelled of elderberries.
2. Space Camp - What kid of the 80's didn’t want to be flying around in the space shuttle? I bet I watched Space Camp so many times one summer I could have been on the cast of that movie. It was a gateway film for me to get into some more techie sci-fi later in life. This is a very cool movie and was one of my all time favorites as a kid.
3. Flight of the Navigator - This was another of those sci-fi kids flicks that I watched more times than I can count growing up. This is back when Sarah Jessica Parker was all kinds of hot. I am surprised this film hasn't been remade yet, it’s an essential part of any 80's geek movie library.
4. The Last Starfighter - This flick hit theaters right at the height of the arcade craze for kids my age. I wanted to find a video game that would land me in the cockpit of a real space ship, but alas, that never happened.
5. Cloak & Dagger - This movie may well be the only cool thing Dabney Coleman ever did. This isn’t a sci-fi flick, but it was one of my favorites growing up. I remember the first time I saw it was on video and it took two weeks to get on the reservation list to get the single copy the movie store had.
6. Explorers- Explorers was one of my favorite sci-fi flicks. I didn't even remember Ethan Hawke was in it until I wrote this. Man, I tried to build my own spaceship more than once after this movie.
7. Firefox - If you ask me the best flick Eastwood ever made, this would be it. I love this movie and have it in my Netflix queue today. The special effects aren't very special any more, but this is one of my favorites. You just have to try to think in Russian as you watch. I can't even think about Mozilla without this flick coming to mind.
8. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - No geeky list of 80's films is complete without E.T., I searched the woods behind my home for evidence of Reese's Pieces for hours after seeing this at the theater. Even my kids love this movie.
9. The Black Hole - This flick doesn't get as much love as some of the other 80's sci-fi but it was one of my favorites. The ship reminds me a lot of Destiny from Stargate Universe. Other than Airwolf, this is Earnest Borgnine's greatest achievement.
10. Tron - I Can't think of 80's sci-fi without this movie. It still looks good today too. I watched it with my kids a few weeks ago on Showtime and it had been so long it was like seeing the movie for the first time again. They stuck to the original Tron look and feel with Legacy very well.