I have mentioned before that I really like movies. I like science fiction the best, but action flicks are right up there with sci-fi for me. I also really enjoy a movie of any type be it action, drama or comedy that has a good car chase in it. In fact, I often watch the movies again and skip forward to the good chase scenes.
I grew up watching some car movies and TV shows like Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazard among others. I also had some movies from my youth that I really liked as well. If you are a fan of old movies with good car chases, read on for some of my picks for the coolest movies with car chases around from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Let me know in the comments if there are any good chase flicks I left out.
2. The Cannon Ball Run 2 - This sequel wasn’t as good as the original, but I still liked it. This movie comes from the days when if you had a sequel, you damn well called it "2" not something else entirely. This one had Jackie Chan in it and Jaws from James Bond. It was the first time I saw Chan in a flick.
3. Smokey and the Bandit - You can't have a list of car chase movies without this flick. This was the first time I saw Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason when I was young. I watched this movie with my kids on TV the other night and still liked it.
4. Death Race 2000 - Yes my parents let me watch this as a kid, and no I have no idea what they were thinking. Still, it's wall-to-wall car chases, people being run over, and massive doses of cheese are included. I love this flick though and if you have ever said, "Ten points if you hit him before he's off his bike" you owe this film a watch.
5. The Last Chase - I bet I single handedly wore out my movie store's copy of The Last Chase when I was a kid. I haven't seen this flick in years. The story is a man pulls his racecar out of hiding and rebuilds it for one more chase and a sprint to California away from big brother. Cars are outlawed and a fighter jet chases him along the road. Man, I want to see this again now.
6. Bullitt - This movie was pretty old before I was born and if I am being honest I always thought it was really boring other than the one epic chase scene that is one of the best ever filmed.
7. Vanishing Point - I picked this flick up about a year ago because it said "The Ultimate Car Chase movie" on the front and it was $5. It was weird, but mostly OK. The flick had a crap ending though, he just rammed the bulldozer. If anyone can tell me why the last was on the motorcycle naked I'd appreciate it.